Jump to content

Seat foams, share a kit?


Recommended Posts

Hi Folks

the base seat foams in my late model TR6 ( with removable headrests) are ‘tired’

the backs however are good as they were replaced before i bought the seats which are not the ones that came with the car

enquiring of the ususal suppliers nobody will sell me a base foam set without the backs

so.... does anyone want to go dutch on a set of seat foams for a late tr6, you can have the backs and i’ll take the bases?

TRShop are asking £265, i’m happy to collect them and post the backs at cost 

here’s hoping !

steve

Link to post
Share on other sites

Waldi, 

i have no idea of the origin, and I hope not to cause offence, but it relates to purchasing something, and two people pay half each.  It is also a term used when two people go out for dinner, and they each pay their own bill, or split the bill.

graham

Edited by Graham J
Link to post
Share on other sites

So to be clear, i’m offering to pay half not to go on a date :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

So to be clear, i’m offering to pay half not to go on a date :-)

:D nice one!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve,

I'm in the process of refurbishing the seats for my 4 at the moment and decided to cut my own foam rather than pay the eye-watering prices you mention. A square of 2" thick material large enough to do the base or back of one seat cost me £6 and a large sheet of 1/2" for the edge, etc (large enough for both seats) was another £10, so I paid £34 for the foam to do both seats. It's very straightforward to cut and shape the blocks with an old bread knife and, by sticking sections together, it's easy to build up the required shape.

I'm fortunate to have a foam shop nearby but there are others around and on the internet too. Incidentally, Dunelm also sell  a good selection of the thicker foams although they don't appear to do the 1/2" sheet.

I suspect that the foam for the 6 seats is a bit more complicated than the 4 (I have the fairly simple 'Type 3' seats) but, nevertheless & based on my experience, you should be able to sort it yourself at a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Graham J said:

Waldi, 

i have no idea of the origin, and I hope not to cause offence, but it relates to purchasing something, and two people pay half each.  It is also a term used when two people go out for dinner, and they each pay their own bill, or split the bill.

graham

Hi Graham,

no offence:) over here, but funny we have that reputation; looked it up on google. So we are not only famous for the clumps, tulips and windmills:)

Regards,

Waldi

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mikeh said:

Hi Steve,

I'm in the process of refurbishing the seats for my 4 at the moment and decided to cut my own foam rather than pay the eye-watering prices you mention. A square of 2" thick material large enough to do the base or back of one seat cost me £6 and a large sheet of 1/2" for the edge, etc (large enough for both seats) was another £10, so I paid £34 for the foam to do both seats. It's very straightforward to cut and shape the blocks with an old bread knife and, by sticking sections together, it's easy to build up the required shape.

I'm fortunate to have a foam shop nearby but there are others around and on the internet too. Incidentally, Dunelm also sell  a good selection of the thicker foams although they don't appear to do the 1/2" sheet.

I suspect that the foam for the 6 seats is a bit more complicated than the 4 (I have the fairly simple 'Type 3' seats) but, nevertheless & based on my experience, you should be able to sort it yourself at a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

 

Hi Mike

yes i may go that route, i rebuilt the headrests last year and baulked at the ridiculous price for headrest foam so stuffed them myself..... look ok !

steve

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so i have ordered foam for a diy attempt!

bought three thicknesses of flat sheet and order pre-cut angled pieces for the bolsters...... total spend £35

will post pics when they arrive

steve

ps, also ordered some ‘carbon’ seat heaters :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve

Last winter I repaired my TR 6 seats with foam from Dunelm ,apart from taking more time to shape the foam with care you can get a good result. The only issue I had was waiting for Dunelm to replenish their stock of the size I wanted.

I think the total cost with adhesive etc came to around £40 .

Brian

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stuart said:

When shaping the foam, electric carving knife is your friend.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

was planning to ise a non powered bread knife, is the electric version more precise ?

steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Thanks Stuart

was planning to ise a non powered bread knife, is the electric version more precise ?

steve

Well its quicker to cut yourself with if your not careful! Yes it is easier to shape.

Stuart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elclem1 said:

Not sure one’s better half would approve though, clean it well before it goes back in the kitchen drawer!

Get all the blood off you mean !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Foam orders arrived today, so put the heating on in the workshop and mocked up a seat base!

i have 38mm firm foam base, custom shaped ‘wings’ and 20mm front ‘leg rest’

heater panel in place too, fits nicely!

the challenge is the cover, the ‘seat’ part needs to be held down, originally there are flaps that are glued in place,

i’m thinking of sewing through the vinyl join under the panel and through the foam base with large buttons to spread the load under the base

look out for updates !

steve

718E9E0F-8D8F-4FAA-8819-9567D255F524.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.