Dog bolt size

Folks, what is the size of the “dog bolt” holding the fan extension on a Tr4a? I tried a 1 &1/8 socket but it’s a bit loose and I don’t want to round it over. I’m assuming it’s Imperial and not metric.

thanks

Jim

A 5/8th UNF threaded bolt (common for many dog bolts) has a 1" 1/16th AF dimension from memory. Of course you could measure it ?

Mick Richards

Mick, I just borrowed a 1&1/16 socket and it doesn’t fit:blink: . So it must be something between 1/8 and 1/16. Maybe it is metric. I tried measuring and it looked like 28mm (of course with my eyes it might be a foot and a halfB)).

Roger,  It did look a bit rounded to me. I thought it was from previous mistreatment.

I guess last resort is an adjustable wrench and a length of pipe.

thanks

Jim

10 minutes ago, Tr4aJim said:

Mick, I just borrowed a 1&1/16 socket and it doesn’t fit:blink: . So it must be something between 1/8 and 1/16. Maybe it is metric. I tried measuring and it looked like 28mm (of course with my eyes it might be a foot and a halfB)).

Roger,  It did look a bit rounded to me. I thought it was from previous mistreatment.

I guess last resort is an adjustable wrench and a length of pipe.

thanks

Jim

Just thought, as Roger says the heads on the original bolts are rounded, if you are using a Bi Hex (multiple hexagon shape) socket they locate on the corners...there ain't any and it will feel loose until the corners locate on the flat. Of course maybe you've used a single hexagon shape socket but if not give a "1 1/8th" a shot and see if it will locate on the flats.

I assume you were joking about an adjustable...err.

Mick Richards

Mick, yeah I used bi-hex sockets. I’ll see if I can find single hex ones. Oh yeah, of course I was joking (as I casually toss a shop rag over the pipe wrench-_-).

John, that would be great, thanks!

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

I printed a sheet of all sizes, metric / UNF / WW in ascending order and fitted it to a post of the car lift. Very helpful if a size needed which is just a bit more or less. Often a metric / UNF / WW spanner will fit. I use it all the time because I can never remember if for example 7/16" is just a bit bigger or smaller than a 11 mm spanner!

nut-bolt sizes.jpg

Edited by badhuis
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks,

This bolt came out relatively easy for me, but I have read where others have had a tough time getting this bolt loose. When refitting the bolt, is there any issue to using anti-seize compound on the threads to future-proof it?

Also there is a thin smooth washer on this bolt. Should that washer be replaced or can it be reused?

BTW - looks like my car has a bolt from a Tr4, as it has the lugs for a hand crank.

thanks

Jim

3 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

Folks,

This bolt came out relatively easy for me, but I have read where others have had a tough time getting this bolt loose. When refitting the bolt, is there any issue to using anti-seize compound on the threads to future-proof it?

Also there is a thin smooth washer on this bolt. Should that washer be replaced or can it be reused?

BTW - looks like my car has a bolt from a Tr4, as it has the lugs for a hand crank.

thanks

Jim

Jim,

All Triumph threads are fitted dry, the crank main bearings, conrods, camshaft anything you can think of... dry.

if you put anti seize on the bolt thread and tighten it, whatever torque you use... will not be the torque that is applied.

Because the anti seize will reduce the tightening friction and the sticking of the bolt ( we call it “stiction”). Which means the torque will be OVER applied ie greater.

As I said before, I use 120 lb ft ( the bolt should be good for 150) fitted dry with that small washer in place. Up to you what you wish to do.

Mick Richards

• 3 years later...
On 1/26/2019 at 8:32 PM, RogerH said:

There is a problem with this bolt in that it is only just hexagonal. It has rounded corners.  Why - I haven't a clue.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have been following this post and have a question. Is the 1&1/8 socket A/F. Someone said to get the dog bolt loose, to ‘whack’ the socket with a limbo hammer. Do you agree with this?

Greg 

Hi Greg,

Dunno what a limbo hammer is, but if the bolt has been tightened with 120 lb ft ( or even correctly torqued to 140 lb ft as per overseas manual  ) it ain’t coming off !  There are many cars that don’t have it tightened correctly, which sometimes causes damage to the pulley, especially widescreen cars where it’s harder to get to.

You could use an impact driver which will help remove it, with wife or friend standing on the brakes with car in 4 th gear and hand brake on you can even remove it with a long breaker bar on the socket.

Mick Richards

Hi Mick,

I really must start reading messages before pressing send!

it should read, ‘Lump hammer’.

ive heard for some people it’s easy and others a real pain to get this undone. I’m hoping beyond hope I’m the former but fully expecting it to be the latter. 
Thanks for the reply. 

Greg