Hello all,

I have recently completed the restoration of my TR250 on which I spent over a thousand hours . Over this time I carried out a total nut & bolt rebuild including strenghening the chassis shot blasting & painting in chassis black with waxoil injected on the insides of the chassis frame. all new suspension bushes, replaced the rear /front hub bearings, new s/absorbers & springs. Also replaced the driveshaft/propshaft u/js , fitted a r/hand steering rack. Bought an A/type overdrive, recoditioned the gearbox fitting new bearing/syncro hubs etc. The engine was fitted with new pistons & the cyl head was converted for unleaded petrol.The bodyshell was in quite good condition apart from the battery box area & the outer cills  which was repaired with new metal. Fitted new front discs & pads also new rear brake drums, all new brake pipes along with new hydraulic cyls. The bodyshell was acid dipped & painted with colour & stonechipped on the underside, painted the original jasmine colour on the outside. I fitted an original r/hand dash along with a new wooden dash,  had all the guages reconditioned, fitted the steering column. The seats were recovered along with new carpets etc. I also bought a Surrey rear screen frame. Also all the bright work was rechromed.

The car is now completed & also with a MOT certificate, I applied for log book & after 3 months waiting time the log book was delivered by post & it shows the age registration no as PKH 506F.                  

My final point is the car was produced 22 November  1967 & exported to  North  America 13 December 1967 so does that make the car tax free of payment ?.                                                                                             

Many thanks Peter                                                                                 

Hi Peter

Well done on your restoration. That works out to about £35k at a modest £35 per hour, so worth it in the end.

The best way forward regarding taxing it is to go on-line and try it on the .gov site. I would imagine it would be free of charge.

Regards

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Well done , you Old Bugger....Now you have the frustrating part of waiting for Better Weather and no salt on the roads, before you can shake her down properly.

Look forward to seeing her resplendent with age related plates fitted.

All the best,  

Conrad.

Hi Peter

I did a similar job, not as thoroughly as you about 10 years ago, mine was built on 24th October and exported on the 6 November, got it taxed and insured and applied for an age related plate, came after about a week, "PKH 299F", just thought it a bit of a coincidence that the reg no,s are so close after 10 years.

Paul

Pete , as you probably know by now, 

You go online ,just like you do for your modern car .But when taxing your TR it will show up as Historic Vehicle, you go through the process, but no money passes hands.

Have fun, 

Conrad.

• 2 years later...

Hi Peter,

I believe I just became the owner of an old TR5 of yours - HWL 992F.  Any chance I could correspond with you to learn a little about its history?  We bought the car in Dusseldorf and are having it shipped to my cousin near Horncastle, Lincolnshire.  I am actually based in Auckland New Zealand but my cousin and I collect and restore classic cars.  The TR5 will be alongside a 1960 SP250 I restored here in NZ and a 1960 Lotus Type 14 and 5 other cars.  You can reach me at kevinlindsell@msn.com and find me on linkedin if you want to check me out.

regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin

You might get a greater response if you copy and paste your current text and create a new topic under the heading 'Looking for previous owner of HWL 992F'

You could also contact Roger Ferris (covers 5 & 250) at the TR Register on email tr5-250registrar@tr-register.co.uk

Somehow you have ended up on a topic two years old and seems to me to not be connected with your enquiry.

Also good luck with the restoration, be great to see some photos before you start.

Best wishes,

Mike