Recycled Fuses

image.png.53d7feb934c8d66a7e4257f17d058d4e.pngJust started looking at my electrics today and found the fusebox with gift wrapped fuses, kindly donated by PO  my first thoughts what could have caused this type of emergency repair.

I have now ordered a new Auto Sparks loom, something was very wrong somewhere. All the fuses look to have been replaced recently. Very little was working on the car when I purchased it, I think the fitting of the new loom will need to proceed with caution.

image.png.53d7feb934c8d66a7e4257f17d058d4e.png

Paul.

Edited by Paul J

Hi Paul, if you plan to re-use the fuse box, measure the resistance from spade to spade per fuse, it should be zero ohm with a fuse installed.

Example: if you still measure 1,0 ohm and the current when in use is 10A, this will result in 50 Watt of heat development.

Better also check all switches, you will be surprised. 

Waldi

11 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Paul, if you plan to re-use the fuse box, measure the resistance from spade to spade per fuse, it should be zero ohm with a fuse installed.

Example: if you still measure 1,0 ohm and the current when in use is 10A, this will result in 50 Watt of heat development.

Better also check all switches, you will be surprised. 

Waldi

Thanks Waldi, electrics are not my strongest point. Something was not right, there were also quite a few spare switches with the car so all will need checking.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

A simple multimeter of around 20 pounds is a good tool. 

Label all connections and measure where they are going (the other side), using the Ohm function.

Make pics and a sketch how the old loom was routed, there is also a sketch in the Haynes TR wsm.

Uso grommets where the harness goes through the bulkhead and protect from rubbing to other sharp things.

Before connecting to the battery, test with a light fuse (like 3A) between battery and red lead to starter motor. It should not blow if the contact and lights are switched off; this will avoid damage to the wires.

Commission section by section, this makes fault finding easier.

There are many posts on this forum with tips about electrics. See it as part of the preparation. And when in doubt: ask.

By the time it works you will be a pro:)

Good luck,

Waldi