Vinyl Door pull on a CP

Hi, I'm in the final stages of renovating the interior of my 72CP and replacing the vinyl door pull that is stuck on top of the door, but the new one do not seem to fit. I purchased 'Classic Gold'  vinyl covered foam from Rimmer's (not cheap), when I came to offer them up to the door the profile of the new ones is different from the old.  Rimmer's who said it is a known problem and have tried source others but failed, they are prepared to refund me in full, but said some who have purchased these have modified them to fit but do not know how.

My question is is there any one on the forum who has purchased these and successfully shaped them to fit, without them coming unstuck?

see photo, new on left

Thank Phil

door pull.JPG

Graham, Rich, thanks for your comments

I gave TR Shop a call  to discuss the options and will probably go for plain door caps they get from the US, but they are out of stock at the mo, plus separate door handles. I have sent the Rimmer's vinyl caps back for a refund.  Never seen a black veneered caps sounds interesting, you haven't by any chance got a link?

Cheers Phil

Phil - Here is a photo of a pair I sourced for a local member - they are a moulded fibreglass shell which fits the curvature of the door top, and they have genuine veneer fitted on top of that, which is then piano blacked. 

have sent you a PM 

cheers Rich

Rich1?ui=2&ik=6f816c5b2e&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1616334717519044993&th=166e5fdca3daa181&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9crOakqTCpmA_L-LTKRu8LXkd58-PucXVt0IfRUtPn-V0UwZE76ZN7sIhBduubXUqVTW5dB9G66gVLdFzZmEK8K3ZdU_TpbdT7BXKhbDlK5n7HGs_62JVaPmU&disp=emb

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, tr graham said:

phil

they do not fit , get the ones from the TR shop in chiswick or the roadster factory in the states , they fit well

graham

After cutting the tips of my fingers badly on the cracked vinyl on my TR and boy did that hurt for 2 weeks. I went post 74 where Triumph did away with those vinyl pulls and used the same pulls as on the Spitfire. This to me is the best and cheapest solution, but does require new door cards. It would have been the 4th time that I would have had to replace them in my ownership. Parts were obtained from the Spitfire Graveyard.

Bruce.

Update, decided to send the vinyl door pulls back to Rimmer's, ( they apologised and know they don't fit..) and purchased TR4 handles & nuts from TR Shop. I will cover the door cap in a DIY foam and vinyl covering, got the idea from one of the US guys website. TR Shop said the door skin hole needs to be widened a tad to take the cage nuts.

Regards Phil