Overdrive - Worth the expenditure?

Hi All.

It's been a good while since I have felt the need to consult the esteemed members of this group, and hope your advice will enable me to reach the correct decision.

I have a 1971 TR6 which unfortunately is a non overdrive model.

I am considering having an A type overdrive & gearbox fitted, and given the estimated cost of around £2,500 (ish) I am wondering if it's a worthwhile expenditure?

I specifically want an A type overdrive, as that's what would have been fitted in 1971, rather than the apparently more 'robust' J type.

I suppose my question is with regards to the residual value once an overdrive is fitted - is an overdrive model more valuable than a non overdrive model.

Not necessarily overly concerned with recouping all of the cost of installation, but it'd be nice to think the car might increase by 50% of the cost?

Thoughts please...

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

the fun and joy of having and using the OD will repay all your expense. Also you will improve your MPG.

I would suggest thatan OD would put £1K or £2K on the value. But that is secondary.

Roger

Hi Rob.

Couldn't agree more. My previous six (back in the 70's) had an A type fitted, and I loved it!

14 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

+1, ......... Once you have and Overdrive you never want to be without it, .......... a 5 speed box sounds a nice idea as an alternative, but it's just not the same.

Cheers Rob

I agree too.

my previous 6 did not have overdrive and i like the car, but the present one with overdrive is so much better

i mainly use the overdrive either on the motorway or when having ‘fun’ in country lanes where overdrive on 3rd is a hoot

Overdrive will probably improve value but definitely improves saleability

steve

I agree, overdrive is well worth having. Easy m-way cruising at 70+, better fuel economy, what's not to like?

My '70 TR6 has an A-type O/D and apart from once needing adjustment of the solenoid operating rod, it's been very reliable. Just keep the oil topped up!

Nigel

Peter

You can't beat having an overdrive in my opinion, as nearly everyone else has suggested - it's not just about how much it might increase the value of a car, but rather how saleable it might be with one, compared to one without - overdrive is almost always top of the list of goodies prospective purchasers want. 

In addition, as Roger and others have said, it gives you the flexibility to drive differently at different times, gives much more relaxed cruising and better mpg.

I might be able to help you with an appropriate  gearbox - have sent you a PM

Cheers

Rich

Peter,

Unless I've read your opening post incorrectly, why go to the expense of buying both an OD and gearbox - why not just buy the J-Type, have it converted and fitted your existing box by Peter Cox?

The gearbox removal/fitting, wiring, relay and switch is a relatively straightforward process and doing it this way is likely to save you well over £1, 000. 

Cheers, Andrew

Probably how much of the cost you will recover depends on how original the rest of the car is - original vehicles with overdrive are far more sought after than straight 4 speed models.

I have an A type overdrive and wouldn't be without it. Just make sure that the interlocks are correctly wired. Some maniacal previous owner wired mine to engage in all gears, including reverse. 

Showing my ignorance (nothing new there then) but is that option available in an A type unit.

There's nothing wrong with my existing gear box, but most of the refurbished A type units I have seen so far come with a gear box combined.

Prices are based on an exchange basis, so presumably I send the gear box from my car once it has been removed?

21 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Peter,

Unless I've read your opening post incorrectly, why go to the expense of buying both an OD and gearbox - why not just buy the J-Type, have it converted and fitted your existing box by Peter Cox?

The gearbox removal/fitting, wiring, relay and switch is a relatively straightforward process and doing it this way is likely to save you well over £1, 000. 

Cheers, Andrew

The TR6 without overdrive can be a miserable experience at anything close to highway speeds. The engine is revving its nuts off at 70+ mph and it is noisy. The OD will take around 800rpm off. In addition the OD adds to the TR6 driving experience which is already pretty interactive. Even with the other options of Toyota or Sierra 5 speed conversions I would still opt for the TR6 gearbox with overdrive even though I know it will leak and need to be rebuilt every 60k miles.

Stan

8 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Peter,

contact ORS in Sheffield - they can supply and fit an OD to your box (and rebuild your box at the same time.

Roger 

+1

Overdrive is most definitely worth the expense, and as above, will make the car a little more useable for longish journeys, or any motorway activity.  It just makes for relaxed cruising, and when you decide to sell the car, will make it much more desirable.

Unless it is a 1 owner from new, never been rebuilt, and low mileage car, I would not worry too much about originality (IMHO) over making the car more enjoyable with added economy.

Cheers.

Peter,

to answer your question, overdrive is absolutely worth having, it makes the car more fun.

As regards value, think its correct to say an O/D equipped car is worth more, perhaps not the best part of 3K more, though I fully angree with Andrews post above,

job could be done for half that, especially if you went for a J type.

Finally more MPG, in my veiw this is a falicy, I've had my A type equipped TR 4 for 25 years,  one summer when the O/D packed up I switched to a non O/D box to keep the car usable, while I had the problem sorted. On an annual long weekend to the West Coast of Scotland, about a 1000 mls in four days, I did about 2mpg better with the non overdrive, figure it? BUT, the car was a lot less fun. Tried to think of why, and undoubtedly having the O/D meant you were up and down the box a lot more - hence the more fun, but also an A Type O/D weighs a considerable amount, you were not dragging that all over Scotland.

Keep asking the questions, but there are cheaper ways to go O/D than nearly 3K.

John.

I agree with TR Tom, if you don't worry about originality too much the J type is a much better overdrive than the A type. It engages and disengages in a much smoother way. 

Mick

I got my TR6 back on the road last year after 28 years sitting in the garage...It's a 71pi with A type on 2,3 & 4

You can imagine getting a vehicle roadworthy after all that time and extensive refurbishment would result in some problems

The main problem was an intermittent working overdrive that eventually stopped working all together. The solution was a replacement overdrive gearbox harness that sorted the problem 100% which I documented on the forum fixing it.

I can honestly say that having experienced having an overdrive and not having an overdrive working on my car I would never go back to driving a TR6 without overdrive by choice

The main part that in 4th gear non overdrive the engine is buzzing so much that in the end I didnt drive it until I fixed it

When you are in 4th normal gear and sgift into 4th overdrive the whole thing becomes a more relaxed drive as the revs drop

I have no experienceof the J type but my A type with its new solenoid, wiring loom, correct oil level and adjustment...I'm happy with how it performs  it on a nearly 50 year old vehicle

I'd like to sing the praises of the A-type O/D in 2nd gear, which enables speed of 70+ mph with a single shift of the gear lever. This feature helped my concourse car ( Jacqueline the Ripper ) best an early Chevy Nova with traction bars in a drag match. I enjoy it at least as much as 4th O/D and would never consider a J-type lacking same.

This poor quality video gives a whiff of it, but is only a moderate exercise of the feature ( not Jacqueline, just my driver with CP cam and Webers ):

Get the O/D - transform the car. Still a bargain at today's prices for 7 forward speeds.

Cheers,

Tom

Just fyi Peter, the TR Shop had complete gearbox and overdrive units for sale a while ago, less than £2k outright

might be worth a call?

steve