Getting rid of speedo drive dog

I did try to find this in the past stuff but didnt come up with a full solution.

Can someone go through the solution to bin the 'only last 3 weeks speedo angle drives '.

How do you go about it and what size does the cable need to be and where to get it (or can the standad be adapted?)

Would like to have a go as am fed up with the worthless replacements.

Thanks

Edited by Rem18

Hi Rem,

I think you will find most people know how to connect the speedo. What are you referring to as the 'drive dog'.

Is it on this Moss illustraion https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/overdrives-components/a-type-overdrive-fittings-tr5-6.html

if you are referring to the angle drive then you will need the longer cable TR4 cable to go across the floor (underside).

Roger

Hi Rem,

the Moss WebCat shows the TR4 with two cables 78" -  and 69"  LHD. Not sure what you would need.  

If you do not use the DA then you will need to make a hole in your tunnel for the cable to come out at apprx where the DA was.  (coincident to the TR4 handbrake lever).

The cable then dives under the floor - through the chassis heading forwards, - up the bulkhead and back into the cockpit behind the dash.

Why not buy the quality DA as per my previous post

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Not long ago replaced angle drive on a friends 4A. Problem of it failing I think was caused because the cable had been twisted on a tortuous route from the right hand side of the overdrive to the left hand side of the engine, behind the rocker cover and then through the wrong hole on the bulkhead. Too many twists and turns in my opinion. Mine (and the friends) are now routed along the right hand side of the gearbox and then a gentle arc past the starter motor and steering column through the hole nearest the speedo. No twists and turns. Just clip it with a bit of cable tie to the side of the engine bay to hold it away from the exhaust and steering column.

keith