Moss radiator drain plug leaking

I have just fitted a second Moss radiator drain plug which also leaks around the shaft. Anybody got a solution apart from fitting a bolt into the drain hole?

When you say "around the shaft", do you mean that coolant is getting along the thread of the plug?  If so, PTFE tape (or from a tube) or Boss White should provide a seal.

If it's leaking through the tap itself, dismantle and lap the parts together using very fine grinding compound. Even Brasso might do the job.

Ian Cornish

Hi John,

are you referring to#62 on here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/cooling-system/radiators-hoses-fittings/radiator-fittings-tr2-4a.html

They appear to be notorious for leaking.   Most work but too many don;t.

You could try, as Ian, said. Dismantle and lap it together.  Or as Ian (the other one) said at a chandlers

Roger

I bought my TR4A with #81 on the radiator, that works very well and is always sealed.

On the engine I use a modern mini ball valve because #62 was not possible to get sealed.

I posted this anywhere at this forum but I will be hard to find because this forum has no wise order, for this case the issue "cooling"

(ups, did I write this?)

I recently bought a brass engine drain tap from Moss to replace a gunged up one which I think was the original. The new Moss one was hopeless, it leaked through the shut off valve not the thread. I suspect they source both taps from the same supplier, just another example of poor quality. I cleaned up the original, used some PTFE tape on the thread and no leak! I threw the Moss one in the bin.

Rob

Having googled the part number I have found there are a few variations on the theme. This would indicate different manufacturers.

Some have a hexagonal (bar stock) body with the taper tap. Some have a cast body & taper tap. Others have a round (bar stock ) body & taper tap.

The common point is the taper tap.  I would suggest that the leaky ones have not been bedded in very well or if at all.

They all come up in the £10 - 20 range.  Perhaps a LandRover or Jag valve may be better off the shelf but I would not guarantee it.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/Engine-Cooling/33599/i.html?_sop=3&_nkw=radiator+drain+valve

Roger

I found with mine if I have had to use it, that is just needed a bit of working ie open and closed repeatedly and the spring stretching a little. But mine is not a new one.