Energising a new wiring harness

I have just finished installing the wiring harness in my restoration long door TR2.

I intended on bringing an auto electrician in to cross check the connections and test electrical operations, but with the instructions and the wiring diagram it was a relatively straightforward job to connect everything and I would prefer to get the experience of doing it myself if I can reduce the risk adequately.

Before I put a battery onto it how can I reduce the risks? In what order should I turn things on/operate systems?

I recommend to you to use a battery charger or another weak 12 V power supply, max. 2 A, instead the battery.

If everythink is swiched off / OK there mustn't flow any current.

If you have a short circuit anywhere it does not make a fasto damage like the battery.

To let anythink run, for example the indicators, this power supply is too weak. But you will see a reaction.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
added "max. 2A"
38 minutes ago, david ferry said:

John,

I’m sure it will be fine but, just in case, it is well worth making sure you can quickly disconnect the battery and have a fire extinguisher to hand.

David

20 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I recommend to you to use a battery charger or another weak 12 V power supply, max. 2 A, instead the battery.

If everythink is swiched off / OK there mustn't flow any current.

If you have a short circuit anywhere it does not make a fasto damage like the battery.

To let anythink run, for example the indicators, this power supply is too weak. But you will see a reaction.

Ciao, Marco

Thanks David. Yes, I will do that.

Grazie Marco,

I thought of that too. I have a flat battery that probably still has enough charge remaining to get a reaction when I turn the ignition on and a reading on a multi meter as I turn things on. At least that will identify any major shorts before I put in a good battery.

Other ideas would be much appreciated.

I’d connect the battery up via a new large fuse holder, the big blade type

initially insert a 2a fuse and see if low power stuff works

then a 5 a, 10a, 25a working up the power range

this way you can find any big fault which will blow the small fuses, and test the system in a systematic way

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6

Hi John,

if you have a meter (continuity) you could check the  battery cables  for direct short  - remove both cables from the battery and measure the resistance between the two.

Zero is bad:P   something between quite few and many ohms is good :)

The inline fuse methods works well.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I took a short length of stranded wire connected to the +ve battery cable and isolated one strand that I used to just quickly touch the battery post. I figured if there was no spark and the strand did not melt that I was good to continue with the loom testing. A poor mans inline fuse.

Stan 

The most worrying moment for me was when I started the engine and the ammeter rocketed over to the RHS of the dial and stayed there for quite a while.  I had drained the battery quite a lot bringing the oil pressure up and having fitted an alternator it was delivering a fair amount of current into the battery to charge it. It took a good five minutes before it started to drop.

Rgds Ian