Zero electrics

I don't know if anyone can give me any advice on this problem.

When I tried to start the car (1970, right hand drive with PI) just to turn it over, as I do every couple of weeks during the winter, the engine turned over a couple of times and didn't fire. Tried again and again engine turned with no problem and I could hear the fuel pump running but it wouldn't quite fire. This seems quite normal for the car if its not been started for a couple of weeks. However when I tried for the third time there was absolutely nothing, no ignition warning light, no fuel pump noise, no 'sign' of electricity anywhere.

Have had the battery checked and this is okay, cleaned the earth strap from the battery to the bodywork and have even changed the steering lock/ignition switch for a new one as this didn't 'feel' quite right and I thought that might be the problem. However having done all of that there is still absolutely no electricity despite the battery being fully charged. Nothing else, such as lights, come on either.

If it wasn't for the fact that the result after fitting the new ignition switch is the same, I would question that I had got the connectors in the right order when swapping switches - is there any source indicating which wire goes on which connector.

As you can probably tell from my description I have little expertise in electrics and wander if anyone could point me in the right direction(s ) to investigate further?

Remove negative cable from battery, clean post and inside ring of cable with medium sandpaper until shiny, dab petroleum jelly on post, reinstall tightly.

Repeat for positive cable, if it does not start after this initial operation.

Battery cables & battery posts can appear corrosion free, yet the surface contacts seem to oxidize just enough to buffer from a sound connection.

Edited by Sapphire72

Get a cheap multimeter and check if the power is coming from the battery and then at the starter motor and so on

Sorry for the delay in thanking you all for replying. 

Had hoped to be able to report that problem fixed but no joy so far. Will continue investigating but possible location of earthing straps  would be welcome.

John

John, the battery earth cable goes down from the battery terminal and is bolted with an eye to the body on the bulkhead halfway the cable. The end of the cable is bolted to the engine. Check if both are tight. 

On the startermotor, several brown cables and the battery positive cable are bolted to the starter motor. Make sure the nut is tight. Before doing this, make sure you disconnect the battery!

my bet is on that nut.

Good luck.

Waldi

Thanks for that suggestion. I have replaced both the positive and negative battery cables (and cleaned up all the connections) and checked the connections to the starter motor. 

Unfortunately still no joy - everything completely dead. Have changed ignition/steering column switch - again no joy.

Not sure where to go now (have also tried bypassing the ammeter after reading a thread on here) - can only think to try looking for earth straps to clean up but not sure where to look for them if anyone has any ideas?

John

Hi John,

If you have a multimeter (or a simple test lamp), first test the battery: swith it to “volts” and hold the black wire to earth strap, red wire to positive terminal of battery; you should measure 12.5 - 13.5 V;  

Next, “follow the wires”  keep black lead of multimeter to earth, and see if you have the same voltage on the starter motor wires. If ok, check if you have the same voltage  on the fuses, with ignition on etc. Use the electric wiring diagram so you see where you are.

It’s a bit difficult to help and solve this via this post, is there someone of the forum living near-by?

keep trying.

Waldi

Your battery has a full 2 amp charge, correct?

You could try jump starting the motor from a known healthy daily driver vehicle.

Try tapping on the solenoid and starter motor with a hammer, then turn the ignition key to start up.

The following would only apply if the starter were turning but the engine wouldn't start:

A starter motor brush could be hung up, needing to be dislodged.

Check your distributor cap- unclip it and see if the top center post connector is intact.

You should be able to push gently and the connector will spring with movement.

If that's good, change your condenser, your rotor. 

Make sure that on the contact points post that you have everything connected as per the photo- sequence of connectors is all important.

DSCF1161 (2).JPG

Edited by Sapphire72