What Motorbike(s) do you have in your garage?

Again, I blame @Lebro! A 1970 Tr6p (650cc) arrived last week. The engine was rebuilt 8 years but only 200mi ago. 

I'll be fitting a smaller tank and uk style bars ASAP, along with new tyres. 

I'm missing the TR but our new garage is on track to happen before summer 2022

PXL-20211222-140832839.jpg

PXL-20211224-125553631.jpg

PXL-20211224-125610312.jpg

Nice Triumphs!

today in the workshop, alongside Scruffy and the Superlight, we have a Honda SH125i scooter…… having heated grips fitted !

CD4D1D55-AD65-4867-AEDA-7F31C8C19D0A.jpeg

I wish I never started reading this post….
It would be wise if I would never touch a bike again. This was my daily driver around 1980, I still regret I sold it.

MOSH4366.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the workshop this week is my friends CB750F

we rebuilt the top end last winter and it’s running well but still has a lot of issues due to previous bodges……

so this winter i’m rebuilding the clutch with new cush rubbers, rebuilding the carbs, and chasing a couple of oil leaks :-)

might rebuild the suspension too….

2EF6CCBE-BB64-4631-B423-8DE03B06D8EC.jpeg

9F630AAE-7542-4415-96AB-A0D36A099EB0.thumb.jpeg.4e1deeb74dd83c1cd2329e16018a0648.jpeg

Last year was quite an eventful one for me, finally got the six back on the road after a lengthy restoration, and got my bike licence after a long delay due to covid. Managed a few hundred miles in both and absolutely loving them, roll on the good weather.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Why the smaller tank ? The UK spec was for the larger one.

Bob

Hi Bob

I prefer the look of the smaller tank. Capacity is down from 18L to 11L but as I mostly do shorter trips range isn't an issue. Makes for less weight and fresher petrol! 

I need to paint it a brighter colour, it looks too utilitarian with the land rover mid grey I've used. 

10 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

PXL-20220123-180444099-NIGHT-3.jpg

The 1970 650 now sporting a smaller tank with a DIY paint job, UK spec bars, new tyres and an h4 halogen headlamp. Ready to rumble! 

Not trying to be picky Eli, but is that front tyre the wrong way round?

Rgds Ian

5 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

Not trying to be picky Eli, but is that front tyre the wrong way round?

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian

They are bidirectional tyres with arrows on the sidewall to indicate the direction of rotation which changes between front and rear fitment. 

Up front, you need the grooves to evacuate water under heavy breaking, hence the weird looking tread orientation. I only learnt this last month when I was convinced the PO had fitted the old rear tyre back to front. 

Edited by EliTR6
On 1/24/2022 at 5:29 PM, EliTR6 said:

Hi Ian

They are bidirectional tyres with arrows on the sidewall to indicate the direction of rotation which changes between front and rear fitment. 

Up front, you need the grooves to evacuate water under heavy breaking, hence the weird looking tread orientation. I only learnt this last month when I was convinced the PO had fitted the old rear tyre back to front. 

Makes sense and thanks Eli. 

Rgds Ian

• 3 weeks later...

In 1972 at the tender age of 18 I took a gap year, worked all hours gods sent and saved up enough cash to buy a heavily discounted last years model brand new Norton Commando 750 (Fastback) from Coburn & Hughes in Luton. I think it was around £695. What I really wanted was the newer Roadster model next to it with disc brake in candy apple red, but that I think was about £795 which I couldn't quite manage.

So now I have treated myself to a '74 850 Roadster - the red isn't quite 'candy apple' but that's probably a compromise I can live with. It was a bit more than £795!

850 Roadster.jpg

1 hour ago, Ali King said:

In 1972 at the tender age of 18 I took a gap year, worked all hours gods sent and saved up enough cash to buy a heavily discounted last years model brand new Norton Commando 750 (Fastback) from Coburn & Hughes in Luton. I think it was around £695. What I really wanted was the newer Roadster model next to it with disc brake in candy apple red, but that I think was about £795 which I couldn't quite manage.

So now I have treated myself to a '74 850 Roadster - the red isn't quite 'candy apple' but that's probably a compromise I can live with. It was a bit more than £795!

850 Roadster.jpg

Gorgeous! What's it like to ride? 

I just took delivery of a `73 850 interstate this morning that hasn't been run for a few years. My spring project to get it roadworthy and as reliable as the triumphs! 

PXL-20220212-100237540.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
14 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

I just took delivery of a `73 850 interstate this morning that hasn't been run for a few years. My spring project to get it roadworthy and as reliable as the triumphs! 

I’d thought you’d look younger. Giving your recent birthday 

Out of the workshop for testing…… my cb550 and friends cb750f both of which have had extensive work over the past year or two in the workshop :-)

5746F1EF-882C-4A93-BF61-4C1D8A6B5F12.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Hamish said:

I’d thought you’d look younger. Giving your recent birthday 

Dad's 80 this year and I definitely felt older than him yesterday! 

Looking younger today ;) and my hair's grown back 

PXL-20220212-111141779-2.jpg

Edited by EliTR6

That’s great Eli

now all 3 generations on one bike at the same time will be a picture to treasure. 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:19 AM, EliTR6 said:

PXL-20220123-180444099-NIGHT-3.jpg

The 1970 650 now sporting a smaller tank with a DIY paint job, UK spec bars, new tyres and an h4 halogen headlamp. Ready to rumble! 

It looks even better. What a nice bike! [Not to mention the Norton!!! :)]

Ciao,

David

Edited by DavidBee
13 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

"What's it like to ride?"

Well I've only had a test pootle around so far. I seem to remember it being good back in the day but I not expecting too much relative to my recent modern bikes.

Also, for me the footrests are far too far forward, but not sure I want to spoil the looks with rear-sets.

Nice looking interstate!