What Motorbike(s) do you have in your garage?

current bike is a Triumph, of course, a 2015 speedtriple R, previous have been an earlier speed, T595, suziki GS1000, GSX1100ESD, honda 400/4 Mk1,  BSA A65T, Triumph tiger cub (many of them) and first was an Ariel Red Hunter 350, c/w a sidecar as i was on a provisional

2 triumphs.jpg

43 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

Just found and scanned a photo of my old Honda 750/4 F2 that I left behind in the UK  when I left in 2000.

HGP 711T, in case anyone knows of it...

Honda.jpg

Hi Tim,

I do like the F2, a mate had one from new and it went like the clappers and handled OK too.

Your old F2 is currently on SORN and I've posted a thread on the Honda forum to see if anyone knows of it - will keep you posted if anything turns up.

Cheers, Andrew

13 hours ago, pfenlon said:

I bought a new CBX1000, shortly after they were introduced, the retail price then was around £3000, they were being offered at a cutprice £2000, I had a mandatory Honda upgrade to the fuel system almost immediately  to stop Hydrauliking??? cant remember. It was a wonderful bike but I almost had a big one  on a ride out, and I sold it. I replaced it with a. CB900F, which was a far better handling bike,  (for me) The CBX didn't sell well in the early days, How things change! your bike by the way looks stunning.

Hi pfenion,

I nearly bought one brand new in 1979, but I could not find a red one.  There were plenty of silver ones!  While trying to find a red one my friends (huh!) persuaded me not to blow that windfall on a bike, so I bought a 4 year old Rover P6 V8.  Great car I wouldn't mind a nice example now.

The CBX was a huge commercial failure, but a technical masterpiece.  After developing cars for a few years, they realised they had dropped the ball in the bike market sector.  So big H made a big willie waving gesture. They brought out the CBX in difficult market conditions.  Petrol prices, huge retail price tag, as you say.  You could buy a Suzuki GS1000 for £1000 less!!  24 valves to adjust, six carburettors to tune and a huge thirst for petrol  (28 mpg feeding it the berries.  I get about 35). It was very expensive to run.   However it was the goto drool machine for many young blokes....most of whom would not be able to pay for one...just dream!

Cheers,

Jerry

I worked on saturdays in a motor bike shop during my study and once was allowed to drive a CBX just before we had to change the rear tire. I did not make a wheely, but I made sure no rubber was wasted:)

That same year I was at the GP in Silverstone, and I think it was Barry Sheene(#7) who made a wheely with a CBX at night in the road to the little town centre.

Sweet memories.

Waldi

20 hours ago, Z320 said:

the unapproachable Norton rules...

P1300402-b.JPG.f55379603d985640644d85d0d95ea02f.JPG

that's a very nice Norton and looks very original, I also have a 47 Norton ES2 in a plunger frame.

Paul

49 minutes ago, Paul J said:

that's a very nice Norton and looks very original, I also have a 47 Norton ES2 in a plunger frame.

Paul

Hello All

I rebuilt one of those engines a few months ago for a mate.

My Velocettes did not like a foreign engine being in there!

1938 MSS 500

1938 KSS 350 OHC

1965 Viper 350 (now 500)

Plus a 1961 Venom 500 and a 1938ish MAC 350 both not mine

And all sorts of spares I thought I would need?

Roger

Only got my drivers license a few years ago. Then looked out for a nice old bike but chickened out - they need more attention than I am willing to give, looking at my fleet of attention-hungry cars. So I bought a "modern" Bonneville. Well, not exactly very modern - it is one of the first new Bonnies from feb 2001. Got lucky, the PO needed to get rid of it.

I do not use it much. when the weather is fine and I need to go somewhere I much rather jump into the TR4 instead of pulling on weather gear, helmet etc and get on the bike. Not sure I keep it, on the other hand it does not take much space and does not need much attention so why not.

WP_20160705_001.jpg

WP_20170828_002.jpg

Jerry, Pete, Waldi

Love the CBX, I remember when they were new and as you say, very expensive, over engineered and considered complicated so they didn't sell too many - but it was all about Honda flexing their technological muscles, and then the Kawasaki Z1300/6 was launch a year later (1979) and it all got silly thereafter. 

A mate of mine bought a US Z spec one in 2017 and I must admit I didn't think it handles or stopped very well when I rode it, but it did shift with almost turbine like acceleration - a few photos below.  He's still got it and won't part with it.

However, after all these years I've still got a soft spot for the old Brit bikes and hankering for a Trident T160 so when the FireBlade goes (and maybe the CB750) I might well be looking for one?

Keep the photos and stories coming folks, this is turning in to a great thread!

21106565_10210332771970871_5184974851088

21106376_10210332772570886_3841862514234

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
14 minutes ago, Z320 said:

You like these cafe racers?

I like variety in motorbikes, i have a superbike, a supermoto style and yes a well done cafe i do like.

a lot of Cafes arent really good to ride, they just look stylish, i dont like that, i like one thats a blast to ride in town and on smaller roads

i bought the cb360 as a half restored/half bodged barely running mess!

i’ve rebuilt / replaced the suspension. Electrics, and top end of the engine

it goes, stops and handles really well now, for a 1970’s bike !

steve

• 4 months later...

Update!

i seem to be changing a few things in my life at the moment, sailboat to powerboat and now Hypermotard and Honda Cafe gone and Ducati Superlight bought .......

i’m trying to insert a link as having no end of trouble uploading files...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhDJKiWSrX7_r0up_OeMKzKncu1M

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6

748 was my first Ducati 

A wonderful track bike disappointing on the road tho  

Edited by Hamish
  • 2 weeks later...

Superlight arrived today and it is beautiful!

its in amazing condition for a 1996 bike too, astonishingly clean

took it for a ‘quick test spin’ eneded up doing 50 miles as it is such a joy to ride!, thats more than it did in the last 12 months.....

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhDJKiWSrX7_r3AOkxWa4caTCNTM

really pleased with the purchase :-)

steve