Differential overhaul

Can anybody recommend a company who can recondition the diff on my 5. The car has not been driven for 40 years and I have no idea what state the diff is in. I assume that the seals will have perished and any oil in there will be a sludge. The car has only done 60,000 miles so I imagine a general overhaul may do the job. I am in Dorset so somebody in the south would be good.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks both. I have estimates from both of those and was surprised at the cost hence trying to find some other suggestions.

thanks,

Tim

1 hour ago, Tim T said:

Thanks both. I have estimates from both of those and was surprised at the cost hence trying to find some other suggestions.

thanks,

Tim

There are the healey people in Hampshire 

Bill rawles and 

rawles motorsport

Might be healey prices tho 

H

Tim,

a diff is relatively easy to remove/install.

why not remove the rear cover, clean and inspect the internals, put 3 new seals in and see how it drives?

Waldi

Morning Waldi,

Might give that a try as the diff is very accessible as you can see! Do I just give it a thorough clean with jizer or similar, rinse, dry, check for metallic debris check for play and replace the seals?

I really want to keep this actual diff as everything on the car is original and already conditioned.

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG_4435.JPG

Hi Tim,

virtually all  the oil will be at the sump of the diff.

Remove the back plate and allow to drain. Scoop out any residue. Do not over clean the workings (they need all the oil they can get)

With an oil squirty can put oil around any accessible bearings.  Wipe dry the sump of the diff and refit the back plate - new gasket and sealant (I use the silicon squirty stuff)

If not drain plug fitted consider this before fitting the back plate.

Roger

Tim,

after I did read several comments on here with diff issues after a rebuild, I decided to just open clean and inspect the diff and replace the 3 seals. I had no iron/brass in the bottom, and all looked ok.

The front oil seal requires removal of the flange and nut. I marked the position of the nut before removal (it was loose), and installed it a bit tighter, but not to the specified “torque” (resistance), think I did 1/2 of that.

Have not driven the car yet, so too soon to tell.

As Roger pointed out, use silicone on the flange; I did that too, but despite that, it still is not completely dry, think I used too little, being concerned to have silicone sealant in the oil.

Regards,

Waldi

Thanks again for the comments.

Got all the rear suspension of today. Will remove the front suspension tomorrow and tackle the diff as suggested after that.

Cheers,

Tim

I used a bloke in Leicester (yea, I know is a long way away from you) who rebuilt my TR6 diff with new good quality bearings and new seals for £350. He has retired from doing this professionally but has all the required tools so does a few in his spare time from his garden shed. The rebuild was on a diff that had done 130,000 miles from new, could not hold much oil and rumbled like a good'un. It is now runs sweet and is oil tight. Send me a PM if you want his contact details, if yours turns out to need serious TLC.

Mick

Hi Tim just had mine reconditioned by BP Autos in gosport Hampshire Steve 07772383530 or Ian 07912500075 had new bearings and seals checked gears cleaned and painted cost £250 but that was through a friend of a friend might be worth a call 

8A01EFFE-A978-42BA-B888-9668E84F444F.jpeg

4CED37A1-FB70-493D-AB3F-1220E68F5F3F.jpeg

I think that a visit to CTM might be in order for the overhaul and strengthening kit.

Whilst we are in the area of the diff can anybody tell me if the bracket in the attached image is an "add on" or standard as I cannot see any reference to it in any publications.

Thanks again,

Tim

IMG_4469_LIs.thumb.jpg.b2dd6cc5e98c97e02e62b7aa4302f484.jpg

IMG_4468s.thumb.JPG.1ed583f06793392d12d294a31b92e567.JPG

I have seen it before, its to protect the main fuel pipe down to the PRV when that is mounted on the chassis on a 5.

Just visible by the side of the shock bracket in this picture.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 038.jpg

Thanks Stuart. There was also a rubber gasket for it which did look quite specific.

Cheers,

Tim

IMG_4460s.thumb.JPG.838bb2c180348f58535a5907ba3a3c5f.JPG