My speedo stopped working and while I was researching an overhaul of the instrument, I checked the cable and found the gearbox end hanging loose. I have now unscrewed the retaining collar and pushed the cable outer back in place. There is a bit of oil about so it will slide out again. I plan to clean it off with white spirit and glue it back on. 

Please advise on the best adhesive ? At least it will be a lot less expensive than the overhaul :)

While I had the speedo out I tried the Nut and Bolt Store for a wing nut to retain the instrument in the dash board. They could not identify the thread. One of my brass circular nuts had a cross thread and was very hard to remove. Does anyone know the thread?  :unsure: They are hard to reach and difficult to use pliers for tightening.

Thanks Richard & B.

Just be aware that white spirit leaves an oily residue that adhesives don't like. Use the white spirit to clean, by all means, but then thoroughly clean again with meths/thinners/solvent cleaner to remove the white spirit.

Tim

Hi Richard,

I thought that the speedo cable was held in place by having the cable swaged into a flanged ferule with the nut holding the flange.

I would suggest you need a new cable

The gauge retaining nuts are a strange thread in out world of UNF/MM - Not sure but 3BA comes to mind.

With a thread gauge and a Zeus (or is it Dzus) book you should be able to find the thread,

Roger.

Thanks for the easy option Roger. I like mending things so I will find some adhesive. A silicon seal may work. ??  :unsure:

Thanks Richard & B

Edited by Richardtr3a
mis typed

De-grease with brake cleaner (or carb cleaner, meths, IPA etc) then apply cyanoacrylate (superglue) AND try to re-crimp using two blocks of aluminium, clamped together in a vice, with a slightly undersize hole drilled through at the join between them.

Or get hold of a replacement cable !

Bob.