Dash support bracket

After some internal electrical work I'm re-installing the dash support bracket which has two bolts each side attaching it to the floor. Unfortunately on the passenger side it looks like what I assume are captive nuts under the floor are stripped. I've tried a new bolt but to no benefit which is why I assume the nuts have stripped. I cannot get under the car to get a good view and it's heavily waxoyled anyway. Can anyone give me some guidance on what the fixing is under the floor, is it possible to change the captive nuts, or is this something I pass to a garage with a lift and a man with a welding torch?

Thanks for any help given

Chris

On my TR4A they are not welded, it was finger breaking to open them and I think about what I could improve before I have to put the "H" back.

Any ideas are welcome.

Marco

Edited by Z320
4 minutes ago, Z320 said:

On my TR4A they are not welded, it was finger breakink to open them and I think about what I could improve before I have to put the "H" back.

Any ideas are welcome.

Marco

They must have been broken off/removed before you got it, you could try replacing with a Rivnut.

Stuart.

I reckon ‘tis not a good idea to get under there with a welding torch if it’s covered in waxoyl. :wacko:. However, I think you could either drill and tap to fit a helicoil or drill right through and open it out then fit a loose nut!

I can’t remember but is access better with the gearbox cover removed? Someone here will know!

i would use a rev nut as Stuart recommends. If the nut is welded (on my CP they are), I would tap them to the next size.

Waldi

22 minutes ago, Waldi said:

i would use a rev nut as Stuart recommends. If the nut is welded (on my CP they are), I would tap them to the next size.

Waldi

Waldi got in first.

I believe the 1/4" UNF welded nuts are quite a generous external size and can be drilled out and tapped to 5/16" UNF without difficulty.

Dave McD

Thanks all, had a closer look:

in item #26 and #27 there are only drilled 3/8" - without any thread, have 4 bolts 1/4" UNF, nuts 1/4" UNF, washers.

Rivet nuts would be fine but I can't get them UNF for reasonal price. And the rivet must be first to make the suitable drill.

But I have an idea, will report when it's ready.....