Pi accelerator cable.

Brand new cable fitted yesterday useless. Plastic sleeve slides through brass ferell that attaches to bulkhead. 

Bought this a few years ago so probably out of warranty. 

Already wasted loads of money on duff parts so looking for recommendations for quality cables 

Thanks Matk

Thanks Roger , I think it’s a new cable , the sleeve goes through the brass Ferrell about 3” and is crimped somehow.

once it was fitted I pushed accelerator down and the sleeve pulled the brass Ferrell.

Looking to replace with something more substantial .

Mark

Mark,

I had a brass fitting (cable adjuster) from an old motorcycle, probably clutch or front brake. It had a slit over the entire length, these are pretty common. Thread dimension approx 8-9 mm outer diameter. I used that with a nut both sides of the bulkhead, now the cable is nice steady. I drilled the hole where the outer cable fits in at the same diameter as the sleeve pressed on the cable end so it had a sliding fit with almost no lateral play.

Waldi

Hi Mark

I did a mod to the throttle cable, I cut back the outer sheath to where the brass ferule is crimped and fitted a bicycle brake adjuster in the throttle cable hole in the bulkhead, see photo. The cable lasted for three or four years but having said that I did have to fit a new inner (purchased from my local bike shop) a couple of weeks ago when the nipple accelerator frayed off.  Doing the mod does require cutting off the nipple at the accelerator end and soldering crimping or clamping a new one when cable fitted.

I hope this will help

Cheers

Bill

TR6ThrottleCableMod006.jpg

That’s what I have, but mine is a bit bigger, so the bullit for the pedal that is crimped/soldered on the inner cable end passes just through it, think I had to drill 5 mm.

Waldi

I cannot imagine it left the factory like this, but when you look at the Moss catalog, it is a very poor design.

Waldi