Tyres once again

1 hour ago, cookie said:

One problem i wasn't expecting with the new 195s, the spare wont fit in the boot under the tank.

Going to have to raise the tank slightly grrrrr

The other 4 look great though.

Dave

That's weird - I kept a full size spare 195 in my '250 without a problem, though the rear boot card pressed down on it somewhat.

Maybe the tank got raised in the 1968 model year...

Tom

2 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

I too have 195s on Minilights, and went with a space saver in the boot

a volvo space saver seems to work, correct pcd etc

steve

All okay apart from the fact that the space saver is not legal when in use on a TR, and also the problem that you will not be able to fit the wheel you’ve removed into the space in the boot.

David

3 hours ago, cookie said:

One problem i wasn't expecting with the new 195s, the spare wont fit in the boot under the tank.

Going to have to raise the tank slightly grrrrr

The other 4 look great though.

Dave

I have 195/65 Michelins on the 4A on 6" alloys. I went with a 165/80x15 on a standard 4.5" steel rim for the spare. This fitted easily under the tank and allowed me to keep the flat boot floor instead of raising it as in a TR6. Very important when you want to take 2 full sized suitcases (one behind the seats) on a 3 week holiday.  I'm not sure about the legality but at least the overall diameter is correct. It will only ever be used as a get me home tyre. Hopefully a flat 195 will fit under the tank. If not, the passenger will have to nurse it. Presumably, she will then tell me that it is her turn to drive. :wub:  48th wedding anniversary yesterday and I taught her to drive in a TR3A so she is a long time TR driver.

I think the problem in TR6s with wider tyres is not the fact there isn't enough space between the bottom of the tank and boot floor, but because of the design and depth of the boot itself with it's high rear lip,  the wheel and tyre has to be inserted into the boot at an angle to clear the rear lip, and it is this which causes fouling with the bottom of the tank - if you were able to slide it in horizontally, it would fit, but you can't!

To overcome this, you need a tank with a sloping bottom section which most repros don't have, but I do know of one company, Alicool, who do manufacture these and indeed, I have one of these tanks, brand new, if anyone wants one for a good price - PM me if interested

Cheers

Rich

On 1/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, david ferry said:

All okay apart from the fact that the space saver is not legal when in use on a TR, and also the problem that you will not be able to fit the wheel you’ve removed into the space in the boot.

David

Both points are true David, but i’m happy with it as a get you home option.

steve

19 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Both points are true David, but i’m happy with it as a get you home option.

steve

As long as you advise your insurance company that the car will not comply with Construction and Use Regulations or meet manufacturers original specification and get their written approval ...you may be covered in the event of an accident.

Mick Richards