Tyres once again

12 minutes ago, Keith66 said:

Hi All

I'm not quite at the tyre buying stage yet (car not on the road), but will have to replace my late 1980's tyres pretty soon as although they hold air i doubt they will hold the road, so for safety sake they will go. But it’s pointless the car sitting in the garage as a non-driver on good tyres.

I also think £200 plus for each corner is a little expensive there are plenty of quality brand 165/80’s around at much less. A modern Vredestein or Conti can be around £60 and even Michelin XZX or Vredestein Sprint classics at £120 or a little more.

At the end of the day it's each to his own but my feeling for my car is to use the same size as the original. A modern tyre design and almost 50 years of materials technology improvement should see me ok in terms of grip without going very wide or very low in profile.

But would welcome any feedback on brands and actual tyres from those that have used them

So I’ve seen the following

Nankang Econex 165/80 R15  @ £48

Hankook Kinergy Eco 2 165/80 R15  @  £51

Vredestein T-Trac 2 165/80 R15  @ £56

Continental CT22Contact 165/80 R15  @ £60

Toyo 330 165/80 R15  @ £76

Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80 R15  @ £117

Michelin XZX 165/80 R15  @ £130

Although i'd probably draw the line at Nankangs TBH.

Cheers

Keith

Don't you want at least an " H " speed rating? I don't think those Michelins have it.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom

TBH not even close to buying yet so only gave some prices and a cursory glance based on size and to get some feedback on what people use but clearly need to use the correct rating, esp as insurance companies tend to get wobbly if anything at all is wrong.

Cheers

Keith

Hi 

After following this topic, I checked the date code on my tyres - Pirelli's 185/65 R15 with +5mm of tread & excellent condition with no flat spots or cracking, however I was shocked the code indicated manufacture in 1999! Ive had the car 2 years, mostly in dry storage with limited mileage it & seems the car has done little mileage in the previous 18 years. A common problem I suspect with many classic cars. It may well be worth everyone doing a quick check.

Anyhow I intend to actually use the thing this year & have decided to fit new tyres but I'm not sure to stick with 185 (with a change to a closer ratio for the speedo) or go to 165. Can anyone quantify any 'improvement' going to 165's over 185?

Since 165 &185 sizes were used depending on market I assume the car was designed for use with either.  

I accept the general consensus seems to be Michelin XAS are 'best' , however, like some users I can't justify best part of £1000 so i'm interested in the feed back from others about the selection of tyres listed in the previous post.

Alan 

4 hours ago, super6al said:

Hi 

After following this topic, I checked the date code on my tyres - Pirelli's 185/65 R15 with +5mm of tread & excellent condition with no flat spots or cracking, however I was shocked the code indicated manufacture in 1999! Ive had the car 2 years, mostly in dry storage with limited mileage it & seems the car has done little mileage in the previous 18 years. A common problem I suspect with many classic cars. It may well be worth everyone doing a quick check.

Anyhow I intend to actually use the thing this year & have decided to fit new tyres but I'm not sure to stick with 185 (with a change to a closer ratio for the speedo) or go to 165. Can anyone quantify any 'improvement' going to 165's over 185?

Since 165 &185 sizes were used depending on market I assume the car was designed for use with either.  

I accept the general consensus seems to be Michelin XAS are 'best' , however, like some users I can't justify best part of £1000 so i'm interested in the feed back from others about the selection of tyres listed in the previous post.

Alan 

Hi Alan.

The immediate improvements I noted after changing from the original 195 Michelins (a modern 'eco' pattern) to the 165 K715s were (a) a noticeably smoother ride and (b) greatly reduced (now virtually none at all) road noise.  The car is so much more pleasant to drive as I confirmed again last night.

Gavin

Do you like a car that picks it's skirts up and swoops through curves and balances on the throttle with you being able to change direction and make which ever end you want to be dominant ?...that's called handling which is what you get with 165 80 profiles.

Do want a car that ultimately has more grip but is more point and squirt and you drive it around corners and it loads the suspension and chassis with more stress from todays modern tyre technology which can cause problems ? that's what you get from the 195 65 profile tyres.

Your choice.

Mick Richards  

50 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Do you like a car that picks it's skirts up and swoops through curves and balances on the throttle with you being able to change direction and make which ever end you want to be dominant ?...that's called handling which is what you get with 165 80 profiles.

Do want a car that ultimately has more grip but is more point and squirt and you drive it around corners and it loads the suspension and chassis with more stress from todays modern tyre technology which can cause problems ? that's what you get from the 195 65 profile tyres.

Your choice.

Mick Richards  

When I had 'Modern' 195s, on mine, it would stick/cling like 'stuff to a blanket' on bends, but then suddenly let go completely with a real 'brown trousers' moment!

The 165s are a lot more 'progressive' when stretched, and can be felt to be 'just about' to let go.

To me, that is preferrable.

Then again, many owners only need a tyre that looks reasonable and will  operate safely in road traffic until it reaches its use by date in maybe  5-10 years.

When  the use by date is reached the tyre may be less than , say, 30% worn , but it should be replaced as the ride and handling of even the  highest quality  age expired tyre  is generally  woeful.

For these owners, money spent on an  expensive, top quality tyre is largely wasted.

Horses for courses, as they say. 

Thanks for all the replies so far.

What speed rating do people use, mine is a CR which is rated at a max of 116MPH, so I guess a minimum of T (118MPH).

Dave

As per Dave, thanks for the replies. I intend to try the 165's & will decide from 3 of the options Keith previously listed (Hankook K715, Contis or Sprint classic) after a bit more research.

Will feedback in the spring which one & for what its worth, my opinion of the chosen tyre. 

Thanks everyone

Sorry guys one more question.

I have original 5 1/2 J steel wheels, has anybody got 195s fitted to original steel wheels with no issues.

I may go for the 195s as readily available and good prices. When its back on the road won't be racing it and not doing a massive amount of miles.

Thanks

Dave

These site MAY tell you what tyres for a wheel rim size. 

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/advice-and-tips/fit-the-tyre-to-the-rim/5-50x15

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

Cheap winter tyres here. Profiles a little low tho. :ph34r:

4x 195/50R15 Sportway Rally Grip Gravel Grass Banger Tyres Reinforced Wall x4 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162596016567

Edited by Hamish
Added link

Hi Dave

I have been using 195 Firestone' s on my 6 with standard steel wheels for seven years. I probably do the same type of driving that you envisage and have been very pleased with them. As for racing ,track days and tail out antics there may be better but it's horses for courses .

Brian

On 1/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, cookie said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

What speed rating do people use, mine is a CR which is rated at a max of 116MPH, so I guess a minimum of T (118MPH).

Dave

Yes thats an interesting question.

As far as i know you are ok on a T as the top spped of a CR is as you say 116mph, thats from the spec listed on here and is noted as a Triumph number.

But for a CP, don't know. Same table lists a CP top speed as 119, so 1mph over the T limit of 118 but its and Autocar roadtest speed so is it "official" if not is there an official Triumph top speed and is that the one the tyre speed needs to be based on or is there a set speed rating for TR6's?

From what i've read, for a specific tyre to be approved at a specific speed rating it is tested at increasing 6mph intervals for min 10 mins at each speed until the speed of the rating rating is me and i'm sure there is a generous safety margin built in.

So sense would tell me that as I'm not ever going to run over 100mph let alone for over 100mpoh for over 40 mins T's will be safe.

But will they be legal and what about insurance?

Cheers

Keirth

Insurers in Australia have gone quiet on checking tyres speed ratings during claim assessments over the last 20 years or so. I guess if you are exceeding 100mph you are exceeding the speed limit by a wide margin and your policy is void anyway.

Hello, The tyre in the boot of my car was a 185R15 Goodyear G800 red band which was the original fitment in the country of the cars original destination. I have been running 185/60R15 Maxxis on 5.5 Alloy rims including regularity events and they have been behaving faultlessly. Regards,Michael. 

4 hours ago, michaeljf said:

Hello, The tyre in the boot of my car was a 185R15 Goodyear G800 red band which was the original fitment in the country of the cars original destination. I have been running 185/60R15 Maxxis on 5.5 Alloy rims including regularity events and they have been behaving faultlessly. Regards,Michael. 

Surely your speedo must be massively out running on those?

Hi, for what's its worth I fitted Vredestein sprint classics after studying a few of these forums, and also because I liked the period look. I've been really pleased with them, and interestingly when I took the car to a club skid pan event I got better grip from them on the pan than with a friends car with much wider modern tyres.

Rgds. Mike.

Thanks to all for their advice and help.

Have decided to go for 195/65s, 1st 2 on today, next 2 tomorrow.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Dave

One problem i wasn't expecting with the new 195s, the spare wont fit in the boot under the tank.

Going to have to raise the tank slightly grrrrr

The other 4 look great though.

Dave

Edited by cookie

I too have 195s on Minilights, and went with a space saver in the boot

a volvo space saver seems to work, correct pcd etc

steve