Tyres once again

Have looked at various threads relating to tyre widths, but would still like to hear some opinions.

Have taken off the 25+ year old tyres and an restoring the 5 1/2 steel rims. They had 185/70 fitted.

looking at tyre prices 185/70s are ridiculously expensive at well over £100 each.

165/80 and 195/65s are much cheaper.

Question I have is should I go for the 165 (as original) or 195.

Thanks

Dave

I had 185/80 Hankooks on my 6'" Minilite replicas. They raised the gearing by about 7% which was good for driving from Melbourne to Perth across the Nullarbor. The Hankooks were a good tyre and very reasonably priced. I then decided to restore the original gearing and went to 195/65 Michelins. They give a marginally harder ride and slightly heavier steering. 165/80 tyres are very hard to get here in Oz and are very expensive. 195/65s are a very popular choice amongst Triumph club members. You pays your money....

Rockie

1 hour ago, cookie said:

looking at tyre prices 185/70s are ridiculously expensive at well over £100 each.

165/80 and 195/65s are much cheaper.

Amortize that cost over the number of years, or the distance the tyres will carry you- and it doesn't seem so bad.

The upfront cost is what hurts, but only for a short time.

Go for the best quality, at the best price, that You like.

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72

My car came with , 20 year old and rock hard!, 195/65 tyres so i stuck with that size

i bought Vredestein Sport Trac Vs, very cheaply at my local tyre place and am very happy with them.

i would love to try my car on 165s though !

i have about 175hp and a LSD, can imagine the 165s would be a real hoot :-)

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6

I'm going back to 165's on the steels this spring, my choice is slightly towards the aesthetics, but to be fair I don't really drive it super fast, so won't miss the wider tyre for that reason. I feel many TR's look over tyred and I want to recreate the classic looks of the car, good luck with your choice.

Gareth

21 hours ago, SteveB21 said:

I swapped my 195 tyres for 165s a couple of years ago - one of the best “upgrades” I’ve done. Well worth it. 

Steve

Just done the same and very happy with the 'look' and performance of the car.  Won't be going back to 195's again.

Gavin

I don't think anything wider than 185 will contact the pavement at their edges at normal inflation pressures. ( TR250s were spec'd at 20 psi in front with them. ) My 195 Michelin Pilots were aloft at the edges at least a cm in at 25 psi.

I would suggest Michelin tyres are the bees knees for our cars; XAS for up to 5-1/2" rim section and XWX if wider. Nothing comes close IMO. For N. American cars the XVS is available in the original size of 185/80.

Mine might be the only XWX fitted to a TR...

Cheers,

Tom

XWX3.JPG

Edited by Tom Fremont

Thanks for the replies.

A quick look for 165 XAS shows they are almost £200 each. That seems a massive amount when decent makes of that size are around £60 to £70 with 195s about the same or less.

Really don’t want to pay £200 a corner.

If I use 195 will they clear all the bodywork ok without and mods.

Thanks

Dave 

My ex US car didn't look right on 195/65 and the speedo was out so I've gone back to 185/80 again. Plus the steering is a bit lighter as well now and the exhaust no longer hits the ground.

You don't need to spend £200 per tyre and can get other cheaper tyres in this size for over half the price.

Daz

16 hours ago, cookie said:

Thanks for the replies.

A quick look for 165 XAS shows they are almost £200 each. That seems a massive amount when decent makes of that size are around £60 to £70 with 195s about the same or less.

Dave

dont fall into the trap of thinking all tyres of a certain size are the same. The xas have a different profile to modern tyres - they are more rounded in cross section compared to modern tyres which are more square.  They were designed for our cars suspension geometry.   I agree they are expensive but at least the car will handle like it should.  In my case, the car was transformed.  No regrets.

cheers

dave

7 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Edited by Tim D.
7 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

In the end one key thing is that you change your tyres regularly. 

Personally with he miles that I do each year it is very likely that my tyres will be come too old before they wear out. If I buy the correct size they are much more expensive than the 195s which means a greater loss at the end of the day when I do renew. Or I'll keep them on the car too long to try and justify the cost. Hence sticking with cheap 195s. 

I have driven a TR with 165s and it felt like it was on "tip toes" and certainly slid around a lot more than 195s. 

Cheers Tim

14 hours ago, Tim D. said:

I have driven a TR with 165s and it felt like it was on "tip toes" and certainly slid around a lot more than 195s. 

That sounds like the tyre pressures were wrong.  I use the handbook pressures of 22psi in front and 24 at back ie much lower than modern tyre pressures and the car feels perfect - certainly not much different in normal driving than my Audi.

I’ve had the vredestien sprint classics on my previous Daimler SP250 and went to the same but 185/70x15 for my TR3a. 

I think the tread pattern on the sprints are good but they are made out of a good modern compound. 

I had a very wet club track day earlier last year and they were really impressive. But I recognise that they are not the cheapest but not XAS prices either  and you can get deals occasionally on line.

check out the  video  

1 hour ago, JochemsTR said:

if anything is to be modernized, it is the tires.

Selecting a tire based on the "original look of the car" is in my opinion a wrong approach.

Left Vredestein Classic. Right Hankook. Added benefit, Hankook version much cheaper.

1298243665_Tirecomparison.thumb.JPG.50287e4aa7adb388afc7427aef2fc0c6.JPG

You can get modern versions of 165's with up to date tread.

You would drive any car within the limits of its specification, no air bags, abs etc on these cars, putting the original size tyres is the same thing and could be said to make it drive and handle as the manufacturer intended. 

Gareth 

Hi All

I'm not quite at the tyre buying stage yet (car not on the road), but will have to replace my late 1980's tyres pretty soon as although they hold air i doubt they will hold the road, so for safety sake they will go. But it’s pointless the car sitting in the garage as a non-driver on good tyres.

I also think £200 plus for each corner is a little expensive there are plenty of quality brand 165/80’s around at much less. A modern Vredestein or Conti can be around £60 and even Michelin XZX or Vredestein Sprint classics at £120 or a little more.

At the end of the day it's each to his own but my feeling for my car is to use the same size as the original. A modern tyre design and almost 50 years of materials technology improvement should see me ok in terms of grip without going very wide or very low in profile.

But would welcome any feedback on brands and actual tyres from those that have used them

So I’ve seen the following

Nankang Econex 165/80 R15  @ £48

Hankook Kinergy Eco 2 165/80 R15  @  £51

Vredestein T-Trac 2 165/80 R15  @ £56

Continental CT22Contact 165/80 R15  @ £60

Toyo 330 165/80 R15  @ £76

Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80 R15  @ £117

Michelin XZX 165/80 R15  @ £130

Although i'd probably draw the line at Nankangs TBH.

Cheers

Keith