Wheel arch trim fitting

I'm changing the interior of my car, the new kit didn't come with any instructions at all (Rimmers), I'm looking at how to fit the rear wheel arch trims, the ones installed hadn't been put in very neatly and I'd like to improve on this if possible. There is a Moss installation guide which says to glue the foams to the cover and then fit as one, then there is a Victoria British installation guide which suggests gluing the foam to the arch and then fitting the covers, what's the forum view on how to approach this?

Check with Bob Danielson's website for Interior Panel Installation.

www.tr6.danielsonfamily.org/InteiorPanelInstall1.htm

Link is not working, try searching on 'Bob Danielson TR6 interior panel install'- that should get you there.

Then click on Install Instructions in the left column.

Edited by Sapphire72

Thanks, it looks like Bob's kit is a better fit than the Rimmers one that I have.

I have just fitted an interior, the key is to do it in a warm garage so that everything is subtle I glued the foam to the wheel arch with carpet spray glue.

Hi Ian,

whether you attach the foam to the metal work or the cover you need to ensure that the line of fabric form the beading is left uncovered.

Otherwise you will get a ridge.

I attached my foam to the arch first and left enough wheel arch to glue the cover to. The edges are hidden by other upholstery.

I started attaching the cover at the bottom keeping a close eye on the alignment of the beading.

Once the bottom is in place then you do the top - again the beading is all important.

If you have white beading then alignment is very important.

If you don't like what you have done pull it off and start again.

Roger

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

whether you attach the foam to the metal work or the cover you need to ensure that the line of fabric form the beading is left uncovered.

Otherwise you will get a ridge.

I attached my foam to the arch first and left enough wheel arch to glue the cover to. The edges are hidden by other upholstery.

I started attaching the cover at the bottom keeping a close eye on the alignment of the beading.

Once the bottom is in place then you do the top - again the beading is all important.

If you have white beading then alignment is very important.

If you don't like what you have done pull it off and start again.

Roger

My foam is in two pieces, the larger covers the entire wheel arch, the other piece is a long rectangular section, purpose unclear. Are you suggesting I should cut the large piece so that I can leave a gap where the beading line runs?

I have described this procedure a few times before if you can find it on a search but anyway here goes.

You need to work out where your beading is going to go first then mark a line round the arch with a good quality indelible marker. Trim the lower section of foam so it fits about 1/2" away from this line all the way round and down to the parcel shelf and to the rear upright angle for the tank board. The other piece which is rectangular then needs to be trimmed to fit from 1/2" the other side of the marked line and to the inner wing all the way round the arch. Glue the foam down with the minimal amount of glue. Then turn the arch trim inside out and glue the beading only down to the marked line. Make sure the glue has gone off well then you can pull the lower section down and only glue it around the waste edges and not on the foam at all. Once this is done (You will probably need to trim it and add some slits where it goes over the forward edge of the parcel shelf) then do the same on the upper outer section, again do not glue onto the foam only the outer edge. doing it this way means the bit over the foam "floats" and so you get the proper padded effect.

Use a good quality contact glue like Dunlop one from Woolies trim.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, your approach sounds the same as Roger's and will require my cutting the large piece of foam up. There's going to be a slight delay in progressing this, I need to drill another seatbelt mounting hole on the inner arch and I will do this before fitting the trim obviously.

Ian