Her first start

This Sunday I plan to start my engine after a complete rebuild. Its a CP engine with Lucas inj and this week I fitted a new Bosch pump (0580464126), since the old 996 pump leaked through the wire-conduit.

I cranked the engine (have 5 bars oil pressure), have sparks, and the fuel pump is running quiter than the old 996, but draws a bit more current (10A).

Will have fire extinguiser, friends, my son, and very important, cakes and coffee.

I will keep you posted; many of you have been there before, like me. Did you sleep well the night before?

cheers,

Waldi

Sounds good. I'd sit in the cockpit and keep an eye on the oil pressure for the first few minutes . When you first race the engine watch the oil pressure and make sure the relief valve is opening and the pressure levels off.

I had an oil filter cartridge blow off once due to a poorly made screw on adaptor- if I wasn't watching the oil pressure like a hawk I would have lost the engine.

Best of luck Waldi. My first start was on the 24th September. Had vacuum leaks which caused the revs to soar, mainly because I had not connected the vacuum hose to the brake servo!. Also had water splashing about due to a leak in the water pump but she started and I ran her for 20 mins at 2000/2500 revs to bed in the new cam. After that I had to go back and re-set the alignment of the intake manifolds and start again with the throttle bodies but we got there. She has never failed to start since.

You'll be fine. I didn't sleep a wink the night before but that is not unusual :)

I would post the video but it seems to be too large and I can't work out how to re-size it. Happy to send it to you on WhatsApp if you PM me your number

Good luck, I know how apprehensive I was starting my Honda 750 after 3 years, and there's less to check on that!

That said, when it starts I bet you won't be able to hold back compulsive grin, so capture it on your phone or GoPro.

Cheers, Andrew

An exciting time Waldi. In addition to oil pressure keep an eye out for fuel, oil and coolant leaks as the system builds pressure and starts to warm up. When I started my TR3 for the first time I had a few minor leaks that I attended to later but I let the engine run for 20 mins for the cam break in.

Stan

Good morning, Thank you all for the hints, very much appreciated.

Yesterday evening I tested the ignition, just to see if the  sparkplugs gave a proper spark. These are almost new plugs, they have run 1 hr at the most before the rebuild, and they were black (sooted). At least one was leaking, giving several smaller sparks between the main spark, so will use new one. I was surprised how quick they deteriorated, and thought they would be ok. Will get me a new set today.

I have cracked on the starter motor now for 5 mins or so (plugs still out) but still no fuel smell at the engine. I plan to open the MU return line to make sure fuel is getting at the MU.

I have not lifted the injector needles yet, is that needed?

Will keep the positive wire from the coil and follow all your good suggestions.

Thanks,

Waldi

This is exciting, good luck Waldi

in the summer i rebuilt the engine in an old 2 cylinder Honda motorcycle, complete with bigger high compression pistons and new valves.

it was a great joy when that fired into life, so i can imagine you’ll be elated when the PI 6 fires up !

steve

Best of luck Waldi its great feeling of achievement when she fires for the fist time. 

Hi Waldi

Have a great day tomorrow and get some sleep tonight you might need it:P

I have never had to start from scratch bleeding all the injectors, but a favourite on the forum is to do what the mechanics used to do in the good old days, which was to lay some old rags on the air manifold and then lay all the injectors out on the rags. Then do the usual turning the engine over until you get one to squirt and then put that one in a  jar and carry on with the others until four are squirting. At that stage put all the injectors back and start the car. Sounds simple, but probably not unless you get lucky.  Pull out the injector needles if no petrol is coming through and at same time have injectors upright and tapping them has worked for some.

Best of luck

Roger

Disconnect the coil and leave the pump running for half an hour before you try to start will get rid of most of the air, then dont forget to reconnect the coil afterwards ;)

Stuart.

Hopes are high, think I will get drunk when it runs, and I don’t need alcohol for that.

Roger,

thanks for that tip, will do that if I still have no petrol at the injectors tomorrow.

Thank you all,

Waldi

Update: TR Fever rising.

I bleeded the system as Stuart recommended: 

Kept fuel pump running.

Removed fuel return pipe from MU and saw fue dripping out, almost nothing, but there was fuel, so now move on to the injectors.

Pulled the choke out.

Then I removed the injectors from the TB’s and opened each of them while holding high. Soon one or two gave a hiss (air escaping), that felt good.

It helped if I cranked the engine for just a few seconds after I vented all injectors, so all pipes had a bit of new fuel and pressurized.

I used a nose plier with rubber sleeves (shrink tube) on the ends, to avoid damaging the needles.

Stopped when most gave some fuel (some gave only fuel, definitely no air in these.

now I have to wait until tomorrow....think I’m ready.

So time for a gluhwein.

Waldi

Thanks Jeroen,

feels like I can use that.

My friends say don’t worry, but I’m the worrying type:)

I’m sure my friends will make a video, but not so sure if I can upload, but will give it a try.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

Update:

in short: she’s not running yet. I had read it can be difficult to get running, well, mine is.

The engine cracks ok, good sparks on all 6, I’m pretty sure timing is correct,  have fuel at most injectors (4 at least when held vertical upwards. Will do the jar pot test end of this week to check for cones of fuel spray (no time this week).

One cilinder is “willing” and we smell combustibles, but not the rest. Total cranking time around 1/2 hr.

Looks still lack of fuel, since no strong fuel smell. Should have removed plugs to check but we are going  to friends tonight, so now have to stop. Gives me something to think about.

Regards,

Waldi