Fast Road Exhaust Manisold (SS)

I know it's probably all been done to death before, but I can't find any significant info on this system from RTR   https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr2042/name/6-1-extractor-mansystem-ss-tr250-5-6 .

Does anyone have any first hand experience of this system and can offer comment on it's performance and noise, that is to ask will it be louder/noisier than the twin SS sports system I have fitted at the moment. Racetorations offer something very similar and at a similar price.

The reason I ask is the 6 branch extractor I currently have (SAH original I'm told) has a few holes, dents & bruises not worth repairing, so a change to something with an increase in performance without the increase in noise may be in order.

The car is/will be used for long distance touring mainly, not so much thrashing around etc.

I notice RTR advise wrapping the exhaust, but how can they justify £80+ for a 50ft roll???

Richard.

Richard, I conducted a before and after dyno Test with a Phoenix manifold and exhaust. I got a 3% Power and 5% Torque increase. That is way below the 25 hp RTR is advertising.

RTR may be a little different from Phoenix, but not much.

The only systems (manifolds) that seem to improve Power and Torque are from GT and similar from Triumph Special Tuning. Those manifolds alone cost just as much as a complete system RTR or Phoenix are advertising.

Exhaust wrapping has been discussed here few times....might as well be a oil discussion, not a real verdict

Thanks for your input.

I've decided on the Phoenix 6-3-1 manifold with a "Y" piece, that way I can still use my nearly new twin rear silencers, seem to me to be the best compromise. I'll be wrapping the manifold despite the inconclusive debates.

Richard.

8 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

I bought my exhaust wrapping on ebay.  It came complete with stainless steel tie wraps.  Seems to have worked - it hasn't burnt off yet.  It wasn't massively expensive.

Rgds Ian

+1

just make sure you are outside when you start it. 

It smokes as it cures. 

2 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Richard, I conducted a before and after dyno Test with a Phoenix manifold and exhaust. I got a 3% Power and 5% Torque increase. That is way below the 25 hp RTR is advertising.

RTR may be a little different from Phoenix, but not much.

The only systems (manifolds) that seem to improve Power and Torque are from GT and similar from Triumph Special Tuning. Those manifolds alone cost just as much as a complete system RTR or Phoenix are advertising.

Exhaust wrapping has been discussed here few times....might as well be a oil discussion, not a real verdict

be interesting to see results of a genuine back to back test.

Richard beware that some need a changes to linkage on the inlet side.

Thanks for the replies.

Ian,  I have loads of exhaust wrap leftover from industrial engine installations, that's why I was surprised at the price, I thought it was free of charge.

Roy, I have an overhead throttle linkage, so I shouldn't have any issues there.

Richard.

Interesting thread. The RTR system is not as per the Phoenix for either 4 pot or 6 pot systems. Also their claim of 25hp is with a complete system not just the manifold. A back to back test would be fascinating.

I have a feeling many upgrades result in nothing like the power claimed as they are done in isolation and not part of a complete package.

On the exhaust wrap debate, i’ve had good results on old motorcycles but not tried it on a car

my 6 does seem to boil its fuel when left really hot

if i park up after a ‘good blast’ then the engine will require some cranking next time its started.

if i park up with the engine only warm then it fires right up next time

might consider wrapping my ss manifold one day.....

Edited by Steves_TR6