Hi

Had a run on problem with my 1974 PI (owned 34years) last year replaced my Beru Ultra X UX56 with new UX56 plugs bought from the Green Spark Plug company.

The prevoius plugs I bought off ebay & suspected they were cheap copies.

The problem I had was a slight run on which I had never experienced before. Engine would turn a few times then clonk out.

But with the new UX56 plugs the run on was greatley reduced. Still occurs very ocassionaly. The car runs very well with plenty of power & on a motorway runs & returns 30mpg

The car has been on a rolling road at Wilshers Garage Peter Baldwin who trained as an apprentice on Triumph PI cars. This was in 2016 Feb Peter recalibrated the metering unit on the rollers & got 180 bhp at 4000rpm

The rolling road part of the garage has now closed.

But still get a little run on occasionally so guess something still amiss.

Only use 98 petrol mainly BP or Shell. Nothing else changed on the car. Electronic points in the distributor since engine rebuild by manvers & covered 50K miles since 2005

Alec

1 hour ago, alec said:

Hi

Had a run on problem with my 1974 PI (owned 34years) last year replaced my Beru Ultra X UX56 with new UX56 plugs bought from the Green Spark Plug company.

The prevoius plugs I bought off ebay & suspected they were cheap copies.

The problem I had was a slight run on which I had never experienced before. Engine would turn a few times then clonk out.

But with the new UX56 plugs the run on was greatley reduced. Still occurs very ocassionaly. The car runs very well with plenty of power & on a motorway runs & returns 30mpg

The car has been on a rolling road at Wilshers Garage Peter Baldwin who trained as an apprentice on Triumph PI cars. This was in 2016 Feb Peter recalibrated the metering unit on the rollers & got 180 bhp at 4000rpm

The rolling road part of the garage has now closed.

But still get a little run on occasionally so guess something still amiss.

Only use 98 petrol mainly BP or Shell. Nothing else changed on the car. Electronic points in the distributor since engine rebuild by manvers & covered 50K miles since 2005

Alec

Have you checked the AFR as 30MPG for a PI, would strike me that your car may be running weak, is your engine standard? 

Bruce.

1 hour ago, alec said:

:blink:

No - not standard! That works out to 270 BHP @ 6000 rpm if the torque hangs on.

Very impressive fuel economy given the power.

Tom

Interesting topic, my Tuned PI motor also runs on occasionally 

i’ve found that new plugs make a material difference, i use NGK generally but have also tried Accusparc 3 earth variety with good results.

was the reading on the RR 180lb/ft at 4000 revs rather than bhp perhaps?

if it was bhp then thats some motor !

steve

Steve

The engine was rebuilt to 180 bhp spec by Clive Manvers, he had a great engine builder at that time approx 2005. But that was with weber carbuetors if fitted. I kept the refurb PI injection.

The car is very driveable from low revs which was my request as we used the car for many long road trips in Europe.

After the rebuild, approx 6 months had the car on a rolling road down south can not remember the garage father & son team I had 155 engine power with 121 odd at the wheels

Since then I had the distributor refurbed by the Distributor Doctor it was way out which was corrected.

Peter Baldwin at Wishers Garage was very experienced with the PI system ( ne has ceased trading but he was well into his 70's) surely some other members have had there car on his rolling road.

Did not get any print out info from Peter but he showed me the readout whilst the car was at approx max power. I was driving the car following his instructions by hand signals car was a tad loud.

Find attached RR & Didtributor info

Note The  first RR test was carried out with 95oct in the tank & proir to the distributor refurb as attached

Alec

Distributor info.jpg

RR Info.jpg