Where do you look on the forum?

I was wondering about forum use. 

I use my phone and look at all sections not just car specific. (And get frowns from the misses.)

or do you just go to your car type forum. ?

Just the members area ?

Buy and sell area ?

just idly wondering. 

H

My behavior has changed over the years. In the beginning I mostly went direct to the TR6 forum but over time ATB (now Alec's Inn) became my first port of call and then I see what is new in the model specific areas, starting with the TR3 ad TR6. Its all good.

What has changed for me is that the TR reg forums would be the first thing I checked out when I was awake and got some coffee. Now it is Facebook, the financial markets, news to see if WWIII has started yet and then the TR reg forums and Sideways. I do still spend more time here than anywhere else though.

I use multiple devices depending on where I am in the house and what I am doing. Several android tablets and a Windows laptop. I have used my phone but would only do that if I had no other choice.

Stan

I tend to look at General Technical and TR6 Technical first, because I'm interested in tech and have '6. They are the forums/fora where I can both learn and sometimes offer advice.

After looking at the tech stuff, I will usually dip into the member's area but don't often contribute there.

Nigel

i very rarely go to any particular section - I simply use the 'unread content' link.

The only occasion i will go to a dedicated section is to narrow-down the data prior to a search ---- oh, and the classifieds because the unread content doesn't cover that one

...... Andy

I always start with the TR6 forum. I have a button for this on my favourites bar (IE). After the 6 bit I check General Technical, take a quick look at the 5 and 4 sections and then go to Members Area. I very rarely visit the side screen sections I'm afraid.

I mainly access the forum using my laptop which has a 13 inch screen and this brings to mind one of my bugbears....why do we have so many pinned topics at the top of each forum section - most of which are really old and have not been accessed for yonks. Whichever section I open, all that is visible is old pinned topics and I have to scroll down to see if there are any new topics. Difficult to do whilst holding a cup of coffee so I would like to see these old pinned items removed.

I rarely use my phone or ipad to access the forum.

Check for PM's, then check any unread items in the following:

General TR technical, then TR2/3/3A, then TR4/4A

Then Competition, Alec's Inn, & the Forum Help.

Usually look in 3 - 4 times a day, mostly on PC, occasionally on Android Phone

Bob.

1. Technical

2. TR4/4A

3. At the Bar/ Alec’s Inn

4. PMs

Using an I- Pad only these days. 

Edit :   I can see the side sections on my I- Pad and can post and post photos.

Edited by SuzanneH
Short update of info’

An interesting topic Hamish.

Check pms etc.

Check the right hand side , to see what's happening.

Then onto Alecs INN. Closely followed by the Classified.

Tr5 Forum and the other TRs.

Generally stalk people and add a few comments  !!

Conrad.

I think it could be different for folks depending on which device you use to view the site. 

I think the full pc/laptop view gives far more info per view, the side content etc  

On my phone it’s a list that you scroll through so I tend to visit all the headings that show new content and if you hit the dot or star it automatically goes to  first unread content. 

Having a 3a with a 6 gearbox that I use in competition  there is a crossover with so much of the forum. 

Its all good stuff and I have learnt so much that has given me confidence to give work and improvements  a go.

H

Generally start at the top and scroll down to see what's happening then to Alec' s Inn then dip in and out of the other sections. Although I run a 6 I still find interesting stuff on the other sections.

Use a kindle or laptop, the laptop version works better for me.

Brian

I first check PMs, respond to them.

Then click unread content and scan for anything interesting. Every week or so I mark the whole forum as read to clear out old stuff from unread content.

I use both my desktop and phone. Phone is a pain at times but OK to read but dislike posting from it.

Mick

Morning all,  I look at the forums and then going onto the groups to see what you are all up to, I use the I pad in the day time but as I drive at night when getting unloaded and reloaded I use my phone. I can only use my phone to post or get into members area and put photos on Cannot post with iPad. Mike. Redrose group 

14 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

i very rarely go to any particular section - I simply use the 'unread content' link.

The only occasion i will go to a dedicated section is to narrow-down the data prior to a search ---- oh, and the classifieds because the unread content doesn't cover that one

...... Andy

+1

Hamish

I'm on here two to four times a day mainly using laptop, occasionally the iphone.

First point of call is the TR250/5 forum as I have a 5.

Then it's General Technical, followed by classified, occasionally Swap and every now and then Forum Help/Rules.

After reading some earlier posts I did for the first time look at Alec's Inn, will now add this to my daily visit.

I've found this forum to be a really helpful with such a friendly and informative bunch of chaps and chappesses. I'm relatively new to the TRR and am learning everyday becasue of this  superb resource which has now given me the confidence to do my own work improvements on the car. 

Worth every penny of the yearly sub.

Best wishes,

Mike

14 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

...... Andy

+2

Ian

To look 1st here, 2nd there, 3rd for me is some kind of ….. uncomfortable to me,

because the technique on all TRs and our interests are pretty the same and because I’m general interested.

So perhaps it is allowed to post a different idea.

In the middle of the screen I would like to see a list of “current posts”, not special listed to car model or issue.

Perhaps there something interesting to know what I could not imagine or never look for?

Left or right of this I suggest a list of “issues” like on the spare part suppliers websites,

like “engine”, “gear box”, “ignition”, “car body”, “cooling”, “tools”, “electric”……., not special listed to car model.

There I can find all about for example my fuel pump problems or answers to my radiator.

A new post / topic I make like this: I go for example to the issue “fuel” and post “new fuel pump on my TR4A”

or on the issue “front axle” the post “need new bushes”. The post appears on the list of current posts and on the list of “issues”.

That would make it easy to me to follow the current posts and to do some research on problems.

1:  Gen Tech

2: TR6 (plus an occasional delve into TR5/250)

3: Alec's Inn

I also use a 13" laptop  - almost never anything else - and would prefer the fixed stuff at the top of each area  to be much smaller, ie move the pinned stuff elsewhere.