Front Brake Calipers; reseal?

Hi all

Just got the calipers out of storage and thinking about where to go with them. My car is a UK 1969 PI and hasn't turned a wheel for at around 8 years looking at the history file.  

The calipers I suspect have been replaced sometime just before the car came off the road as they look like new with SS pistons along with the pads which will be replaced as the discs were toast. The caliper casting indicates 16P but the seals would suggest PB which seems strange, are there hybrid calipers out there? The pistons are very tight but the dust seals also seem like new that said I'm thinking they will need stripping and resealing rather than risk fitting them.

The kits on offer all seem to be minus the "O" ring that sits between the caliper halves anyone suggest what size they are and where to purchase them and the best seal kit? 

Thanks

Andy  

Hi Roger

Seems a shame not to while the caliper is split given it will likely be a £1 for both, or me been me I forget where I put them!

I'll keep searching.

Thanks

Andy

10 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

last question - honest.  Why are you splitting the calipers?

Roger

Hi Rodger 

LOL I'm sure I will be asking a lot more questions than you ever will!

Splitting them as the pistons are refusing to budge so it will be hopefully easier to extract them and clean them up. Also they look new but I have no idea if they are any good after years of idleness and need to be sure there going to work!

Andy

1 hour ago, John L said:

There is a part number of 17H7679, dare I say... it fits MG and midget callipers, may be of help?

John

Thanks John 

Most likely the case as these calipers seem to be used across a range of MG's.

Andy

Hi all

UK supplier if anyone needs any http://www.thewedgeshopstore.com/caliper-o-ring-for-girling-caliper/  Nice site.

Its not Taunton Devon but Taunton near Cape Cod! 

Going to try Pirtec.

Edited by PodOne
more info

Hi Folks,

this question came up two or three years ago and somebody sourced the seals locally.

I know that EBC supply them with their vented disc kit.

May be worth contacting Moss in Hanworth (London) 

Roger

Usual procedure if the pistons are properly stuck and wont move by any other method is to weld a bar across the piston and use that to pull them out.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi

When i did mine I saw that Buckeye triumph had helpfully put the moss part number in their excellent write up. http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Front/Front.htm

Tapping that number into moss gets you the seal  I can’t tell you if it works yet as mine has gone off to the paint shop and I won’t be bleeding brakes until I have some obvious things (like pedals and master cylinders!) in the car. But it certainly looked like the right part to my untrained eye  

Hope this helps  

Mark

I used liberal amounts of wd40 on the pistons outside but not in the caliper. Then connected the aircompressor on the caliper, with a block of wood between the calipers, say 1/4” narrower. This released one piston. Then pushed that one back with a “C-clamp” (not the right word, I mean the ones used in woodcrafting), and worked on the other.

Some do this with a grease gun, this will give better control, much more pressure and is safer.

Regards,

Waldi

Thanks all for the pointers.

They have been soaking in WD40 since Weds so with a bit of luck they will play ball.

Andy,

sorry if I state the obvious: be carefull if you use compressed air. Also wear goggles as brake fluid will fly around if a piston pops out in a less controlled manner. Best put some cloth around it.

How do I now?

Waldi

15 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Andy,

sorry if I state the obvious: be carefull if you use compressed air. Also wear goggles as brake fluid will fly around if a piston pops out in a less controlled manner. Best put some cloth around it.

How do I now?

Waldi

Hi Waldi

Nothing to be sorry about better than loosing an eye!

Think a lot of accidents could be avoided if people spent a few ££ PPE and seconds just thinking about the job rather than cutting corners.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

the sudden release of the piston when using compressed air has surprised me in the past; I was surrounded in a mist of brake fluid....not injured but that was luck.

Waldi

11 hours ago, stuart said:

Usual procedure if the pistons are properly stuck and wont move by any other method is to weld a bar across the piston and use that to pull them out.

Stuart.

I used this method because mine were well and truly stuck. Combined the lever bar with compressed air and they came free. I did this without splitting the calipers.

20180212_183310.jpg

The compressed air worked a treat and pushed the pistons out they are stainless and the bores are all good.

Clean up and a reseal tomorrow.