Tr4 wipers/motors/boxes

Hi Dive in at the deep end.Does anyone have knowledge to guide me through sorting my wiper problem out.long and short when i read about turning boxes around and 120 degree swipe i just switch off .Im in Huddersfield and need someone with patience to educate me to understand the dynamics of it all.Any advice greatly appreciated thank you

Hi Aide,

welcome to the forum.

The wipers are essentially simple but can be a devil to keep going.

The wiper motor operates the blades by pushing a cable in and out.

This action runs over a gear wheel that in turn rotates. In fact there are two gear wheels - one for each blade.

The gear wheel is connected directly to the blade.

The amount of push/pull and the size of the gear wheel give apprx 120 degrees of screen sweep.

After many years of use the cable can wear down. So if you remove it and turn it over 180 degrees an unworn part of the cable will give you many more years service.

You can only do this twice.

The gear wheel (Wheelbox) can also wear.

When you remove the cable in order to turn it over you can also turn the gear wheel.

In theory you have three bites of the cherry - 120' x 3 = 360  I would recommend turning it 180 degree to ensure unworn teeth are used.

On the TR4 they were fitted with a single speed wiper. I wouldn't bother with upgrading to two speed unless you use the TR6 motor. 

if you have more questions then ask

Roger

I rebuild the wiper motors.  I've got spare parts.

One thing to realise is that it only takes a few thou of wear, for there to be a lot of backlash at the blade tips.

Another is that as originally made new, the sweep angle of 120 degrees is almost too much.  They cut it down to 115 degrees on a TR6.

Many thanks for the replys.Im slowly getting my head round the issue.My motor turns when switched on but the wipers do not.The cable is moving freely at the end attached to the motor.There appears to be a resistance in the wiper boxes as the whole plinth seems to rock with the movement as motor goes.Hope my explaining is clear?

Hi Aide,

If the cable moves in and out but the blades do not sweep then there is an issue with the wiper boxes.

You need to get them out or at least access to see them - this will be fun.

For the nearside (UK on the left hand side) remove the glove box and up front towards the middle of the car you will see a small panel with four screws.

Remove the panel and you will be abe to see what is going on.

For the offside - remove the speedo and tacho gauges. Similar panel.

The wiper arms, the nut holding the spindle in place and the screws holding the access panel can all be little devils to remove.

On the wiper spindles there is a plastic spacer tube - this is often split in half.

Roger

I think that the clamp on the first wheel-box has come loose.  Someone has "investigated" by pulling out the wire. When they put it back it did not mate in either wheelbox.

I can see one wheelbox failing but not both at once.  So this means the wire rack is un-mated somehow.

Hope I'm right because this will be much easier to get back than replacing both boxes.

NOS racks are quite easy to get.  Most all the racks are the same except for length.  Longer ones are easy to cut down with a grinding disk.There is a "black-cab" version about as NOS which are OK if you can't find a Lucas genuine NOS one.

Hi many thanks for the advice.This morning ive stripped it down and sorted the problem.The cable had seized solid in the tube part.The easy part was freeing the cable.As warned by yourselves the hard part is stripping inside the car to get to everything.Im now aching from head to toe and had my body in positions i thought not possible at my age!Thanks again for the advice .One problem still to sort is the wipers park at the wrong side and i cant screw up the thread into the wiper motor.Ive been on the forums but last bit of advice greatly recieved.Aide

One problem still to sort is the wipers park at the wrong side and i cant screw up the thread into the wiper motor.

Hi Aide,

to sort the parking. Assuming that it is actually parking.

Remove the blades.  

On top of the wiper motor you will see a round cup shape.  This controls where the blades parks.

If you slacken the clamp on the cup (the four screws on the top cover) you can rotate the cup to allow the blades to park on the right.

If it is 180 degrees out at present then the cup needs rotating 180 degrees.

Roger