SU HIF6 Carburettor to replace Stromburg 175s

Hi

Local ex Triumph shop closing up and offered for 200 quid a pair of rebuilt SU carbs and he said, from his experience it can give me a bit more power on the pedal over my Stromburgs.  May I ask what the community think of this deal?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich

It made no difference to my car, mind if your Strombergs are worn rebuilt SUs would improve things providing the rebuild was up to scratch, and the correct needles are fitted.

I also had a bit of trouble getting fuel levels right as the front carb has the float chamber a bit up from the jet and the rear is slightly down whereas Strombergs are concentric 

George

The main advantage of SU carbs over Strombergs is the greater range of needles, effectively giving wider choice of fuel maps.

If your engine is standard, Strombergs will be just as good as SUs. If the engine is modified, you may find fine tuning to get the optimum fuel mixture across all operating conditions is easier with SUs, because of the range of needles.

Nigel

I’v used HIF6’s on a couple of cars always found the very reliable, just double-check the depth you have available; the internal floats mean the overall measurements are a little different to the older designs.

..... Andy 

Hi there

If  the car was showing issues I also would buy them - but I think I focus shall focus on some other jobs I have planned.  The the only 'issue' is I find the car just a bit gutless and missing a bit of oomph.

Rich

Rich

Check the thickness of your cylinder head as US spec cars had a fairly low compression ratio, its a simple job to have the head skimmed to give say 9:1 which will give a boost to performance.

I have the measurements for the head thicknesses somewhere and will dig them out

George