J Type Overdrive delay engaging

Guys

Took my CR TR6 out for a drive today and what was noticeable was how long the Overdrive took to Engage and Disengage, seemed like forever say 15 seconds at a guess.

I have not noticed this issue before and wondered if you can offer some advice on where to focus my attention to resolve.

The gearbox oil I have is EP90 grade and I have not checked the level since early summer.

Any ideas would be appreciated 

Thanks in advance

Andy

That’s sounds right I thought mine a tad slow on Wednesday 

Could be thick oil, but I would have thought subsequent engagements would speed up as the oil warmed. I would check that level asap.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Andy,

maybe the low temp thick oil and age/wear on the GB.

Replace the oil with a 40 grade (Penrite GB40 usually works well) and see what happens.  Keep it in there till late spring. This may have a cleaning effect.

Replace then with your treacle if you wish.  But whatever give it an oil change and clean the filter.

Roger

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Starting ticking off the jobs for re commissioning the car for the coming season, anyway the problem I was having engaging overdrive was simply down to the Gearbox oil level being low.

Took the car for a run today and it engaged and disengaged really well.

Thanks for all your comments & support

Andy