Weber 42’s on ebay

I know these are unusual and there has been talk in here about them and people looking. 

Outside of my budget but at a fair values I think

H

not connected to seller just spotted them on the bay  

WEBER 42 DCOE 8 Carburettors - ideal for Morgan, Triumph TR4, Lotus, Maserati https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254047001047

Just reading this Weber info from an article

As an aside, the prefix number on the DCOE is the diameter of the throttle plate (the throttle bore) in mm; DC means "doppio corpo" (double throat); O means "orizzontale (horizontal); E means it is a die cast carburetor; and the number or number and letter suffix is the variation type. Except there seems to be several variations to most variation suffixes. You want to be very sure that the DCOEs you purchase are indeed matched pairs with matching progression holes. You will never get two DCOEs to work together properly if they are different variations.

I don't know enough about Webers myself to easily check these on the bay but there is quite a distance between the carb numbers showing so I would confirm they are a matched pair and not just two separate webers.

Mick Richards

In addition to the "matching pair" pitfall there is also the question of spares availability. Jets won't be a problem but some of the internals are size specific. 

The ebay seller isn't too forthcoming with information, the most important aspect being choke size. 42s could be from 28 - 34mm as could 40s.

A road car may as well use 40s. Given the same size choke the actual advantage of the 42 will likely be un-noticeable.  A well tuned car will probably be using 45s anyway.

The 42s seem to me  to fall between two stools.

The importance of progression hole "correctness" cannot be over-stressed. A road car spends a lot of time in the progression phase.

If they were fitted to a Morgan the it was likely a TR Engined one anyway so probably close enough to start. With regards to the difference in numbers as there was so few of these originally made and they were Maserati specific originally they should have the same basic internals.

Stuart.

I remember during the early 60's there were a lot of 42s on the market because Maserati stopped using them. A big supplier in the US, BAP-GEON, bought a lot of them and sold kits for the TR3 and TR4 using them. They also were used on Morgans. I bought a set in 1964 for my TR3A and are still using them. Never had any problem getting any chokes or other pieces. Right now they are on the race engine I just pulled out of my Warwick GT.

Dean

• 8 months later...

There is a cheap set of 40 mm Webers with manifolds and linkages on Ebay Germany:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/3-fach-webervergaseranlage-fuer-triumph-tr6/1214914997-223-5199

No relation, but looks very cheap.

Waldi

On 1/7/2019 at 5:52 AM, Andy Moltu said:

Why were they removed?

Has someone struggled to get an unmatched pair to run properly?

Sorting second hand Webers and Dellortos can be time consuming and expensive.

Sorting new matching Webers can be time consuming and expensive too!