Just shows what can be done if one could throw a blank cheque at a project. 

Attention to detail seems good, but I bet keeping that body shiny is a job !

Hi Dan,

looks so futuristic. The way the aeroscreens are attached to the body work - very steam punk.

I also like the reversing mirror cowl - so over the top.

I wonder what metal it is made from. Aluminium will remain nice and shiny but is not strong in any way. An Ali alloy can be stronger but does not buff up as well.

Aircraft use a material called Alclad - Aluminium coated Ali alloy - polishes well and can be strong.

There will not be too many copies of that

Roger

Edited by RogerH
typo

Shell was built by North Devon Metalcraft a couple of miles away from me in Barnstaple. 

Theyve recently completed another all alloy shell and a few with alloy outer panels on a steel tub.

Other interesting TR projects include a recently completed TR4 with a Daimler V8 and a TR2 belonging to one of the owners. 

The V8 will be for sale now following the sad loss of the owner after a brave fight against a long illness. 

Interesting project.They do not quote what the weight is but refer to the body being 56%lighter. The car has no roll cage and with the ally body I suspect its not as stiff as a steel car so wonder what the scuttle shake is like. Here in the UK the tyres would be illegal on the road I think but will make the car a delight on smooth surfaced bends. Given the charges for alloy panels I can only imagine this body was megabucks. Some lovely detailing.

I asked if they could do a body shell in all alloy, including the inner structure. They said sure, and a wire transfer was made to get the process going.

About 120 days later, a shiny TR shell showed up, ….

are we sure this was North Devon Metalcraft ?

Mick Richards

Somebody who can turn out promised work to schedule and In a reasonable time frame ?

I guess you’d have to use the search facility on this site to see which firms have feedback that suggests they could do that consistently. Why not start with the above  ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Looks like the more recent (last ten years) comments are pretty positive and that since Paul and John Evans took over the reins that feedback has been positive. 

I used them once to reshape a dented panel and it was done for the next day. 

NDM did a couple of TR3A front wings for me about a year ago and were very prompt and could not have been more helpful, and they fit, more or less.

Also, price was very reasonable compared with most other suppliers, for whom they make most of the panels anyway!

Clive