Front suspension spring tool

Hi, Has anybody got a front suspension coil spring compression tool for hire/sell. I line in north lincs between Grimsby and Scunthorpe area. DN386JW.  I'm wanting to replace front springs.

Thanks in anticipation .  Dave Crops

Me, I sometimes make some,

you can buy them via eBay UK "Churchill tool" or with some discount direct from me.

It is very safe and you will love it.

Edited by Z320

Dave,

Springs are dangerous projectiles, there is a lot of stored energy.

There are several posts about this. Do not use the clamps with 2 threaded rods on the outside of the spring, as these may jump off due to tge steep coils (pitch) and that is dangerous ( some do it like that, not me, thanks).

I used a central M12 or M16 threaded rod with a plate below the springpan and large think washers on top; and double nuts on the side where you turn the nut, again for safety. And use grease on the nuts, also on the nut-contact side to reduce friction and wear.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Pete, great to hear you are still pleased with the tool.

I was lucky to see a car mechanic working on my TR with the original Churchill tool the first year I owned the car.

That gave me the idea to make my own Churchill tool as close to the original as possible, reduced to its main features.

5 hours ago, crops said:

Hi, Has anybody got a front suspension coil spring compression tool for hire/sell. I line in north lincs between Grimsby and Scunthorpe area. DN386JW.  I'm wanting to replace front springs.

Thanks in anticipation .  Dave Crops

Dave,

Living at Barnetby you could do worse than try Dennis Vessey in Barnetby for hire/loan. He's a well established Engineer on many marques including numerous TRs.

Dave McD

Dave

I have a self made one from instructions appeared in TRAction many years ago... It works for me!

I’m 5 miles NE of Driffield so not too far from you...

PM if you’re interested.

Cheers

Ian

4 hours ago, Waldi said:

Dave,

Springs are dangerous projectiles, there is a lot of stored energy.

There are several posts about this. Do not use the clamps with 2 threaded rods on the outside of the spring, as these may jump off due to tge steep coils (pitch) and that is dangerous ( some do it like that, not me, thanks).

I used a central M12 or M16 threaded rod with a plate below the springpan and large think washers on top; and double nuts on the side where you turn the nut, again for safety. And use grease on the nuts, also on the nut-contact side to reduce friction and wear.

Regards,

Waldi

Same, a length of threaded rod with suitable plates and a double nut on the working end. I made it 20 years ago and still use it after checking the condition of the threads each time.

Hi Marco

Looks like great tool and Waldi has convinced me to get a proper one when I strip the front suspension down at the end of the year. Will be in contact with you then if Ok

regards

Roger

Dave, I have a home made one, threaded bar with substantial plate welded and bolted to the bottom and a deep nut on the top with a ratcheting wrench that makes it a quick process of removing and replacing springs, you can use it for the cost of postage, just used it to strip down and rebuild my front suspension, cheers, Andrew

12 minutes ago, Rogcastle said:

Hi Marco

Looks like great tool and Waldi has convinced me to get a proper one when I strip the front suspension down at the end of the year. Will be in contact with you then if Ok

regards

Roger

Hi Roger,

you send me a message when ever you want, you will love the tool.

Could be possible I need some time to make one, I do not always have some ready like at the moment.

Ciao,  Marco

Dave

It kind of depends on whether its a one off, once in a blue moon job or something you may do more often.

If its more than infrequently get the right tool.

If its more of a one off i would think the threaded bar and a set of substantial washers/plates method as per Waldi, John and Andrew is acceptable.

Oh and of course me as thats the way i did my strip down and reassembly.

But as Waldi says care needed whatever as springs under compession can be dangerous.

Enjoy

Keith

2 hours ago, RichyBarber said:

M16 studding nuts washers and 75mm valve sqare plate washers (type used in construction)all from orbital. Fasteners Watford  for about £20 - worked perfectly for me 

+1 for orbitol, I used m16 also with extra long nuts. 

Dave,

Have sent you a PM - I think.

Tim

IMG_1768small.thumb.JPG.245b91a83da34bdd587adde4d8965c18.JPG