Triumphtune front springs

So I had purchased a set of front springs for the 4A from Craig at TR Bitz (TT 4006) and was researching adjustable dampers (probably going for Spax due the ease of on car adjustment), but Craig told me that they fit standard after-market shockers as the Spax/Konis can give bump steer; how does that tally with members' experiences?

Rgds

David

Edited by qkingston

Bump steer is a result of incorrect steering / suspension geometry, there will always be some on our cars.

I don't see how a different damper can affect it ?

Bob.

Hi David,

the Spax work very well.  No  bump steer unless you go off road.  Avoid the bumps.

There is a small issue with the standard dampers in that they are 30mm too long compared to the originals. Not a majr issue normally.

Roger

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

Bump steer is a result of incorrect steering / suspension geometry, there will always be some on our cars.

I don't see how a different damper can affect it ?

Bob.

+ 1 with Bob.

The worrying thing is that a retail organisation selling bits for TRs can think that a damper which only works because it's attached at either end and rubber mounted can affect bump steer ! It would make me question how deep their expertise is in other areas. As long as the damper cannot inhibit the suspension or steering movement it can't affect bump steer...I've never yet seen one that could.

The bump steer was built in originally by Triumph, they didn't do correct geometry...just cheap, it was their marketing platform and for many years it worked, however the integral failings can be sorted with just a little of your application and about £1 spent in shim steel...how reasonable does it get ? ( and why didn't Triumph build them correctly ?).

If you or any other TR owner wants a small artical I've written on the subject complete with a " how to " on your TR just drop me a PM with your e mail address on it,  and I'll forward it. Just to be clear, removing the bump steer will give you the best, cheapest more bang for your buck handling modification to the TR ...bar non.

Multiple piston brake callipers with vented discs and race material disc pads costing £1200 as used in racing TRs...must have it,

Magnesium wheels costing £1400 as used in racing TRs...essential,

Roller rockers which cost £400 and nobody knows you have, they can't even see them, used in racing TRs...to die for,

Sorting your bump steer to cure many of your handling problems and as used in ALL racing TRs and EVERY race car that needs to win and will cost you £1 and you can sort it yourself...err what's bump steer again ?

Drop me a PM, like over 150 other TR owners have done and  when I explain bump steer to you it will become apparent why the dampers don't affect bump steer.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
53 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

+ 1 with Bob.

The worrying thing is that a retail organisation selling bits for TRs can think that a damper which only works because it's attached at either end and rubber mounted can affect bump steer ! It would make me question how deep their expertise is in other areas. As long as the damper cannot inhibit the suspension or steering movement it can't affect bump steer...I've never yet seen one that could.

The bump steer was built in originally by Triumph, they didn't do correct geometry...just cheap, it was their marketing platform and for many years it worked, however the integral failings can be sorted with just a little of your application and about £1 spent in shim steel...how reasonable does it get ? ( and why didn't Triumph build them correctly ?).

If you or any other TR owner wants a small artical I've written on the subject complete with a " how to " on your TR just drop me a PM with your e mail address on it,  and I'll forward it. Just to be clear, removing the bump steer will give you the best, cheapest more bang for your buck handling modification to the TR ...bar non.

Multiple piston brake callipers with vented discs and race material disc pads costing £1200 as used in racing TRs...must have it,

Roller rockers which cost £400 and nobody knows you have, they can't even see them, used in racing TRs...to die for,

Sorting your bump steer to cure many of your handling problems and as used in ALL racing TRs and EVERY race car that needs to win and will cost you £1 and you can sort it yourself...err what's bump steer again ?

Drop me a PM, like over 150 other TR owners have done and  when I explain bump steer to you it will become apparent why the dampers don't affect bump steer.

Mick Richards

Pm sent

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi David,

the Spax work very well.  No  bump steer unless you go off road.  Avoid the bumps.

There is a small issue with the standard dampers in that they are 30mm too long compared to the originals. Not a majr issue normally.

Roger

Thanks Roger, i've seen some previous posts (2017) which mentioned putting in distance pieces with the TT4006s, can't see why this would be necessary when comparing old vs new springs

David

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

+ 1 with Bob.

Mick Richards

ditto pm

Rgds

David

Hi David,

Quick question:  Am I right in thinking that these springs are a little bit longer than standard (as well as firmer)?  If so, can I ask why you want greater ground clearance - I find that it's only on a very rough road that ground clearance is a problem (and I spend a lot of time on rough roads).

Just curious, really, not criticising.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Very slightly longer, less than the 30mm Roger suggests (ref picture above), they are the ones fitted and recommended by TR Bitz; a number of other reputable supplies quote the TT4006 springs as recommended, I doubt I'll see a noticeable difference

Regards

David

On 1/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, RogerH said:

Hi David,

Roger

Which SPAX model did you use Roger? My research would suggest the TT3101?