A Great Day, but, A Query?

Hi All,

New Years Day, and what has become our groups Annual Pilgrimage, A Run through The Lakes, to the lakeland Motor Museum

at Newby Bridge, (Well worth a call for an afternoon if ever you are in this neck of the woods)

For those of us from The north, A mid-morning rendezvous, for a run South along, Bassenthwaite (The ONLY true lake in the lake district) Keswick By-Pass, down along Thirlmere, over Dunmail Raise, (The ancient border between Cumberland and Westmorland) past Rydal Water, through Ambleside and down along Windermere to Newby Bridge.

Folks from the South of our area met us at the museum, for a spot of lunch and a natter.

Our route home was over Kirkstone Pass, past Brothers Water and then along the side of Ullswater, for as far as possible before hanging a Left and turning for home.

Just a wonderful Day, Very Cold and Crisp, but bright sunshine and Dry, a totally top-down day, One of those days when it was, Great to be Alive, Great to have a Triumph TR, and Great to live near The Lake District, and as we neared home late afternoon, the most fabulous sunset framing the Northern Fells.

My query is this - where should I post this report on our forum, and reach the potential new members who might come across my jottings, and think, 

"I would like to be part of this?"

John.

Post it in the

“General TR Technical”

for full access and in the absence of a more applicable forum section.

or maybe Wayne could find a space for it on the main web site  

H

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hi All,

New Years Day, and what has become our groups Annual Pilgrimage, A Run through The Lakes, to the lakeland Motor Museum

at Newby Bridge, (Well worth a call for an afternoon if ever you are in this neck of the woods)

For those of us from The north, A mid-morning rendezvous, for a run South along, Bassenthwaite (The ONLY true lake in the lake district) Keswick By-Pass, down along Thirlmere, over Dunmail Raise, (The ancient border between Cumberland and Westmorland) past Rydal Water, through Ambleside and down along Windermere to Newby Bridge.

Folks from the South of our area met us at the museum, for a spot of lunch and a natter.

Our route home was over Kirkstone Pass, past Brothers Water and then along the side of Ullswater, for as far as possible before hanging a Left and turning for home.

Just a wonderful Day, Very Cold and Crisp, but bright sunshine and Dry, a totally top-down day, One of those days when it was, Great to be Alive, Great to have a Triumph TR, and Great to live near The Lake District, and as we neared home late afternoon, the most fabulous sunset framing the Northern Fells.

My query is this - where should I post this report on our forum, and reach the potential new members who might come across my jottings, and think, 

John.

Not here because “ only the 5%” Keyboard Warriors are your audience and not in the Magazine as it’s not Motor Racing.

I feel your pain, as those of us who like a long day out in our beautiful countryside in our TRs  seem almost invisible now.

Roger and I drove down to Bideford on NYE in the Topless TR4A just to see the fireworks, no chance of seeing them in London. 

We then drove home again on NYD via Exmoor and a few other ancient villages,  again Topless.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, all on our own, hardly any traffic beautiful countryside.

i am not a lover of large museums, particularly Brooklands, far better to get out of town and appreciate the countryside while we still have any left.

Edited by SuzanneH

The best place to raise awareness of this type of event is to upload the information as an event on the website under "My Events" and then tick the boxes for Facebook and Twitter. Just make sure you include where you are going, the time and place to meet and who to contact to find out more info. Once approved by the office it becomes a TR Register event (this is to stop non-TR or club related events appearing in our calendar).You become the owner and organiser and are therefore covered by the club's Public Liability Insurance. It then appears in the events calendar for anybody who is looking for an event on that day and all those subscribers to our social media pages. If you tick the box for notify group members the system sends a link to the event to every member in your local area. Easy, simple to use, very effective and far great exposure than posting it on the forum.

Mick

I believe John wanted to get this to new and potential members everywhere -

The present set-up only gets to members (new or old) that take the time to log into the forum (members area)

If Alec's Inn was open to all around the world then coverage would be excellent.

Roger

1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

Silly question John, make Alec’s Inn available to all. 

Rgds Ian

There, someone had to say it. 

This is what we all want Ian, hopefully those keeping the doors closed will realise that it would be a change for the better for the club and its members.

I am not much of a patient bloke, and it would be easy to opt out, but there are others doing their best to open the doors for us.

My subs are due later this month, and I am to renew in the hope that much will change in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

I believe John wanted to get this to new and potential members everywhere -

Hi Roger, absolutely and the forum is not the best place to achieve that. It is a fantastic tool but not optimised for that task.

Try a simple Google search such as "TR events in January 2019" and the first two hits are the TR Register website events listing giving all the events that any member has submitted. This is visible to the whole world, inviting existing, new, potential members or just those interested in TRs to come along a join in some great events organised by volunteers everywhere. You don't need to be a member or even know the club exists.

If that Google search is too specific then anybody can try "TR events" this gets you to the clubs website as the 4th hit. SEO is powerful and our website is good at it. The forum does not come close, it is much better at other tasks.

John asked the question "where should I post this on the forum", I suggest he should have thought broader than that to reach far more people much easier.

Only my suggestion of course, use the best tool for the job.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey
9 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Hi Roger, absolutely and the forum is not the best place to achieve that. It is a fantastic tool but not optimised for that task.

Try a simple Google search such as "TR events in January 2019" and the first two hits are the TR Register website events listing giving all the events that any member has submitted. This is visible to the whole world, inviting existing, new, potential members or just those interested in TRs to come along a join in some great events organised by volunteers everywhere. You don't need to be a member or even know the club exists.

If that Google search is too specific then anybody can try "TR events" this gets you to the clubs website as the 4th hit. SEO is powerful and our website is good at it. The forum does not come close, it is much better at other tasks.

John asked the question "where should I post this on the forum", I suggest he should have thought broader than that to reach far more people much easier.

Only my suggestion of course, use the best tool for the job.

Mick

With respect Mick, I think you have missed the point.  The forum deserves a place to show their mettle.....................

19 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

If that Google search is too specific then anybody can try "TR events" this gets you to the clubs website as the 4th hit. SEO is powerful and our website is good at it.

Log out of Google and try it again. ... I don't think you are half as popular as you wish. Google is serving based upon your search history & browsing records.

I don't see TR Register in the top 100 hits when searching for "TR events"

12 hours ago, pfenlon said:

With respect Mick, I think you have missed the point.  The forum deserves a place to show their mettle.....................

Pete. the forum has some great uses but advertising TR events to the world is not one of them, all I am saying is choose the best tool for the job. It is not the be all and end all it is only one of many such tools available to members and prospective members. The forum can show its mettle in plenty of other ways and it does. I am a supporter of a friendly, welcoming forum focused on TRs and what we do with them. I will make this and plenty of other constructive comments to John and his team when they are ready.

2 hours ago, ctc77965o said:

Log out of Google and try it again. ... I don't think you are half as popular as you wish. Google is serving based upon your search history & browsing records.

I don't see TR Register in the top 100 hits when searching for "TR events"

Dave, I did that and it was still top of page 3 but "TR events in January 2019" still produced us as the first hit. Haha, it's not me that wishes to be popular it is all the membership, including you. We want to share our hobby and to chat/meet up with like minded people to help each other. Why else did we all join the club? The point is that there is a brilliant tool for doing just what John wanted to do. Since you live in Malaysia and are a clear TR fan, are there any other TR enthusiasts in the country/area? Have you tried chatting/meeting up with them? I can help you find out, if you are interested. Send me a pm.

I encourage everybody on here to use all the tools available to you as members and they will get even better. 

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey
2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Pete. the forum has some great uses but advertising TR events to the world is not one of them,

Mick, you are clearly still missing the point. The object of John's question was the forum. He was not seeking to advertise an event, but seeking to publish what a great time everyone had at the event to as wide an audience as possible on the forum.

Practically everyone who uses the forum wants a form of open "At The Bar" back so the question is when is it going to happen?

Cheers,

Sean

Sean, I know his question was the forum, I am pointing out that there are far better tools out there to achieve what he wanted.

Another tool, available to groups is the social scene where reports of events and jottings can get to a very large audience, through the website, Facebook and Twitter, emailed links to all members in the group, reaching people that the forum does not touch. Clearly the forum reaches another sector of the membership. How about a report in Epic Drives?

How about a report in TR Action? 6000 members read that and the copies get everywhere. Ever been to a major classic car show where there is a TR Register stand, we hand out hundreds of back issues to people who are interested in TRs. We had over 30 new members join the club at the Classic and Sports Car show in November at the NEC. That is targeted marketing working.

On the forum in general, make your own input to John and his team as others will do. The collective view will be listened to. However, don't assume just because some forum members want something that the membership as a whole want the same thing. This is a democratic club.

Mick

4 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Dave, I did that and it was still top of page 3 but "TR events in January 2019" still produced us as the first hit. Haha, it's not me that wishes to be popular it is all the membership, including you. We want to share our hobby and to chat/meet up with like minded people to help each other. Why else did we all join the club? The point is that there is a brilliant tool for doing just what John wanted to do. Since you live in Malaysia and are a clear TR fan, are there any other TR enthusiasts in the country/area? Have you tried chatting/meeting up with them? I can help you find out, if you are interested. Send me a pm.

I encourage everybody on here to use all the tools available to you as members and they will get even better. 

Mick

Mick,

At the risk of continuing down this particular rabbit hole...  One user's search results cannot be applied to another.

For example:  I searched "TR Events" and gave up trying to see anything relevant to our cars by the time I got to page 8 (and I'm not sure that I've EVER gone past page 2 on any actual web search); when I made the search "TR Events January 2019", the TRR website showed up halfway down page 2...

A debate about how Google works is not, I presume, the point this thread.  Regardless, individual results may vary, as they say.

Tim

I would hope that the users of the forum would have a greater weight of opinion when deciding the forum progression. 

It is telling that John had to pose this question given his current task. 

Also in this day and age the forum must be a prominent “shop window” to the wider public for the club to get behind and somewhere to post feel good stories about TR’ing fun and frolics for the wider public to view should be a good thing. 

H

Edited by Hamish
Sp

Sometime you don't have an event that can be published, you have an idea for an event that you would like to float and see what support there is and to further develop it. That's when you need a general public forum that is open to everyone for discussion.

Stan

Evening pete.

After I removed the front bumper, I used a 'Stick on' horizontal one on the bonnet, like E types.

Someone told me that this was illegal on my TR 4, as Triumph had not produced cars like this,

rather than get involved I put a second vertical 'stick on' number plate on the front valance.

John.

11 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Evening pete.

After I removed the front bumper, I used a 'Stick on' horizontal one on the bonnet, like E types.

Someone told me that this was illegal on my TR 4, as Triumph had not produced cars like this,

rather than get involved I put a second vertical 'stick on' number plate on the front valance.

John.

yep had one on a mini bonnet and got pulled for it.

• 5 months later...
On 4 January 2019 at 8:02 AM, John Morrison said:

Hi All,

John.

So dragged this from it's original post in Alec's Inn, to its rightful location.

interesting to see just how we have come. In 2019.

john