And so it begins.....

Here is a sketch of a genuine Triumph oprv plunger and spring that I took from a new factory cylinder block when they were available as a spare part for £50.00.  They included the oil pressure valve and the distributor  drive bush.    
These items are similar to the samples Cox & Buckles used to remake the items in the 1980’s.

i am surprised at the length of the spring when reading earlier posts.

IMG_2048.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In answer to your question yes mine was restored 26 years ago now and has been used in all weathers and Im no polisher, the chassis and underside which was done the same way as I always do them as ill

Day 6: Good progress this weekend.  All the dash out and steering column. Dash metalwork removed and the heater matrix out.  Wind screen lifted to remove dash pad. And windscreen and fr

Front end all stripped and waiting for sand blasting. Passenger side is a pile of bits while drivers side has been mostly blasted and waiting in temporary  bondarust for a quick re blast and two coats

Posted Images

I fitted a NOS oil PRV plunger and spring in 2016 in an attempt to reduce high cold starting oil pressure. The NOS parts made it worse so I reinstalled the old components.

My engine is not stock and I have no idea  how some PO sourced  the  PRV spring and plunger but I would not be surprised at finding many variations in spring length and spring constant floating about  in the parts supply chain.

As long as you dont do what I found some DPO had done to one 6 engine, fitted a washer under the spring, on startup oil pressure shot off the clock and burst the oil cooler

Stuart.

photo0645.jpg

photo0653.jpg

Hi Stuart

I always thought that adding a washer was a legitimate way of increasing oil pressure as long as you don't go daft or just a way of dealing with a short/weak spring.

40mm seems to be the suggested length in the Brown Book. So far had two new ones from separate suppliers ranging from 38 - 38.5mm no different to the one I took out at 38mm which is back in the block with the original plunger as I reasoned it would be a better fit having bedded in over the years. OP is good.

Andy

With my car the previous owners seemed to know what they were doing , implementing changes in ways typical of 1970's back yard mechanics.

I installed the NOS oil plunger and spring hoping to cure a problem with filters blowing off a poorly built Mocal adapter. I don't know where the original PRV parts came from but I decided to leave sleeping dogs lie.

When I was finding erratic oil pressure figures, and the gauge lost that 'rev counter' movement, I looked at the PVR and spring and they looked worn, so I fitted a washer as the spring was less than the 40mm I'd read about. 

The oil pressure went back up, so I decided to get a new PRV the new spring still wasn't 40mm, but it restored the free movement on the gauge and increased the pressure. 

Gareth

• 1 month later...

AN10 oil cooler pipe work made up running through thermostat. Going to change the red fittings to black but try they will do for testing. 
Now onto trigger wheel sensor mounting and readying for electronic ignition. 
anyone installed and using a mega jolt system? Strangely, I’ve got a few questions lol. 

IMG_4574.jpeg

I did, Jon, it ran but I could not program it, and reverted to distributor.   The problem was later found to be a duff laptop - the USB port did not work!   But I've never got around to trying again.

JOhn

Hi Jon

Unless you intend using mega boost pressure from a Turbo EFI set up to counter spark blow out it's a waste of money. Better to have your distributor rebuilt to counter scatter  along with a flame thrower coil, electronic ignition and some decent HT leads. Just my opinion having being there and finding it made no difference running 2 Bar of boost over normal COPs.

Your brass!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably an obvious question. 
how can I be sure that all surfaces of the moving parts in the engine are getting oil?

I have good oil pressure but how do I know for instance that the front bearing surface of the cam is lubricating?  
rear is easy, if I have oil at the rocker, then the rear surface of the cam is lubricating. But what about the front?

"The front surface of the cam"?    

The cam bearings are lubricated via oilways drilled from the main oil gallery.   Clean them out (and pass a drill through them if you like) when rebuilding.    Without pressure/flow sensors you can't know for sure.

But you mentioned the rocker.  Between the two, the cams themselves and their followers are splash lubricated and by drip down from  the rocker shaft, as are the pushrods and the rocker to valve stem contacts.     Rocker bearings, of course have 'metered' flow from the rear camshaft bearing into the hollow rocker shaft.   That comes in at the back, so did you mean the front rocker bearings?  Seeing a drip,  drip from them all is the best assurance you can hope for!

PS  When I rebuild, I pass a long drill right through that main oil gallery.    I had always assumed that it was made by drilling the raw block casting, but my drill catches so many projections and imperfections that you just wouldn't see in a drilled bore that I wonder if it is made in the casting?

You can of course run the engine with the rocker cover off and see what oil’s getting to the front rockers. I thought oil would be flying all over the shop, but it’s not an issue. 

Gives some peace of mind that you’re getting oil in the right places.

1 hour ago, Jonny TR6 said:

You can of course run the engine with the rocker cover off and see what oil’s getting to the front rockers. I thought oil would be flying all over the shop, but it’s not an issue. 

Gives some peace of mind that you’re getting oil in the right places.

Unless theres an additional oil feed up to the rockers in which case you`ll be drowned in it! :wacko:

Stuart.

48 minutes ago, stuart said:

Unless theres an additional oil feed up to the rockers in which case you`ll be drowned in it! :wacko:

Stuart.

Ah yes - forgot about that mod. From memory it’s not seen as worth doing ?

Edited by Jonny TR6
19 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Ah yes - forgot about that mod. From memory it’s not seen as worth doing ?

Definitely not, spawn of the devil.

Stuart.