Battery specification

What are the minimum battery requirements for a TR4? I have a Numax 42AH type 015 in the car @ the moment that has been in the car for at least 4 years but it struggled to start this morning despite being always trickle charged with a CTEK charger, so I think it may be on the way out! It is quite small which is an advantage but should I increase the size to say 45AH? Battery Megastore offer several options @ a good price for Varta or Bosch.

I think you’ll find it isnt the AH but the CCA that is critical for our cars.

the AH rating is the overall capacity, the CCA is Cold Cranking Amps and a measure of how much power the battery can deliver when you need it most.

i dont know what the battery tray is like on a 4, on a 6 Halfords sell a solid range of batteries, ive had a Calcium HD battery in my car since dec 2012 and its never failed to start the car

steve

Make sure that the position of the terminals suits your car, as there can be differences for dynamo (positive earth) and alternator (negative earth).  I have negative earth and have a MB096 from Halfords, rated as 640CCA, 70 Ah, and with 3-year guarantee.

When I had a problem with the battery on the Citroen, Halfords tested it, then replaced it without any demur.

Ian Cornish

Thanks for your comments chaps. Looks like a 70ah & 630cca is the one to go for. Better value seems to be @ Battery Megastore rather than Halfords though, plus a delivery service for £7.50. Our nearest Halfords has no parking! 

Out of interest what did your Ctek charger indicate? Did it show that it had reached a ‘floating’ charge which is L.E.D 8 I believe or was it well short of that? 

On my 4a I had TRouble starting. I removed and cleaned/service the starter motor and drastically reduced the CCA required from the battery and it cranked at twice the speed as before. Just a thought..

Kevin

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

Out of interest what did your Ctek charger indicate? Did it show that it had reached a ‘floating’ charge which is L.E.D 8 I believe or was it well short of that? 

On my 4a I had TRouble starting. I removed and cleaned/service the starter motor and drastically reduced the CCA required from the battery and it cranked at twice the speed as before. Just a thought..

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I took the car for a 30 mile run, connected back the CTEK & it only showed 4 LED's so I assumed the battery was on the way out. This morning after leaving the CTEK charging all night it was showing all the yellow LED's & 1 green, so not so bad. Today I have put a battery charger on to see what happens but my guess is a duff cell & new battery. Cheers.

Hi Monty

symptoms could also be caused by under-charging from the alternator

i had similar on my 6, new alternator made a real difference

suggest you ‘drop test’ the battery is you ave a tester, and check the charge voltage accurately

steve

Ps, which Ctec charger do you have?

they are good but the small ones are very low amperage and this may be why ot took all night to get up to a green light?

steve

2 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

they are good but the small ones are very low amperage and this may be why ot took all night to get up to a green light?

steve

2 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

steve

I have a MXS 3.8 which has been fine for the last couple of years but have just swopped it for the one I have on the other car to see if there is a difference. Had a conventional charger on for about 7 hours today & only got 5 orange LED's showing after that so not sure.

Looking at the manual for your charger, bordom and the internet!, it seems that not progressing beyond lamp 5 indicates that the battery isnt holding charge :

i’d connect the charger to another car battery and see if the lights progress beyond 5, or just buy a new battery !

steve

CBF5CDCC-20FB-45B5-AFCD-7BD055EDD21F.png

Just bought a new Varta Blue Dynamic G8 battery from Battery Megastore, just over £100 including VAT. This is the biggest battery that will fit in the available space. This replaces the same battery I’ve had for the last 8 years. I hadn’t used the car for 2 months and forgot to connect the ctec charger. Tried a normal charger but couldn’t revive it.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel A
On 1/1/2019 at 11:55 PM, monty said:

it struggled to start this morning despite being always trickle charged with a CTEK charger

Crank it for a while and then carefully feel the battery cable connections at both ends plus the earth strap...if anything is warm or even hot (that's why I say "carefully") then that's a high resistance that's costing a few of your volts...and without volts on the starter no amount of CCA will help.

+1 for the Varta Blue Dynamic G8. This is rated at 95 Ah, a consideration when still running a dynamo since it provides good reserve capacity. CCA is 830 and with a high torque starter and good connections this battery really whizzes the engine over. The G8 suits the TR4A. A TR4, if still positive earth, would need a different model with the terminals reversed.

Tim

The Varta Blue Dynamic G7 would suit a +ve earth TR4. Other than the terminal arrangement this is identical to the G8 so ratings are the same.

Tim