Cylinder head

Hi to all 

I have recently managed to get a engine for my project so I’m looking to sale this head that came with the car only it’s a bit pitted/rusty on the cylinder side and on the manifold side my question is how much can be skimmed off.     Kind regards John and happy new year 

3DBD4455-FA5B-4966-A488-7BE114FFC0E7.jpeg

2C8FD000-D94F-4A92-953D-0B9D1A7CB32E.jpeg

ECE91737-B433-4789-81B1-40C5982C26DA.jpeg

8F9ED5A4-C8DA-47FC-AC84-5C90CDCA8E60.jpeg

Edited by John h

Looks like a 4a head, valves out and bead blast the whole caboodle before anything else to expose cracks.

Then measure using Terrianns  TR head website with excellent info on it as to where to measure from so you can get an idea what's left and of course how aggressive you want to go with it.

Here it is

http://www.tr3a.info/FAQ_heads.htm

The figure is 3.330 as standard (doesn't say from where) measure with Vernier from the head face and see which area is measurable and comes about that area, then measure from there. If it was a race head .170 off is not unusual and still useable but of course making a high compression unless the chambers are dug out to reduce it.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi mick thanks for your reply the more I look at the corrosion on the manifold face the more I think it’s too far gone will take it to a machine shop and get it assessed 

Drop it in a barrel of molasses solution for a few weeks first you would be surprised at how it removes the rust.

Stuart.

• 3 months later...

Hi so I  Took the head to a machine shop they said it was too far gone to just machine they recommended a engineering machine tooling workshop at Havant near Portsmouth called EMP tooling there they showed me round the workshop and the stuff they were doing there was amazing repairing cast iron blocks  with holes in them and aluminium cylinder heads  being drilled out re-bushed  they also do something called laser welding which I’m told is very accurate they were on about cutting a section out of the head replacing it re-welding it in and then it could be machined the cost was approximately  450 - 500  pounds then the faces would have to be machined and prepared as normal so with regards to the cost for me as this is just a spare I think I will just wrap it in oily rag and put it on the shelf for later date if  anyone has problems with broken parts  that need welding  don’t just throw it away because I think the welding technology has moved on so much in recent years he also told me that the welding they did doesn’t generate the heat so you don’t get  The distortion that ordinary welding does .I’m sure these people aren’t the only ones that do this in the country so always worth Enquiring before it  goes in the bin  Kind regards John 

On 1/4/2019 at 1:06 AM, stuart said:

Drop it in a barrel of molasses solution for a few weeks first you would be surprised at how it removes the rust.

Stuart.

I have the head, the rust and the barrel, so what molasses would work best ????

And to forestall the next question about 10 parts water to 1 Molasses seems to be the quoted mix. ie Stuarts recommendation would make up 50 litres which would cover a head. Check YouTube for application etc, there's an Australian guy in the outback who uses it bigtime.

Mick Richards

2 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

And to forestall the next question about 10 parts water to 1 Molasses seems to be the quoted mix. ie Stuarts recommendation would make up 50 litres which would cover a head. Check YouTube for application etc, there's an Australian guy in the outback who uses it bigtime.

Mick Richards

And 22 hours  per pound ( 2 metric days per kg) at room temperature 

turning regularly 

:ph34r:

Thanks Mick I couldnt remember the mix quantities when I posted earlier.

Stuart.