Gear box switch - better quality?

Hi everybody,

my gear box switch for the reverse light did not work anymore.

I opened it and found it well sealed, dry, but the contacts are dusty, perpaps too much current from the reverse light?

P1110745-b.JPG.27110d0e3742ce2831a9d5a0ad2354a6.JPG

Is there a better quality to buy or does another switch from a different car fit?

Cioa / Cheers, Marco

Hi Marco,

how old is that switch. Perhaps a simple clean and a small dab of conductive grease and you will have another 50 years.

Or you fit and LED in the reversing light (IF there is one available).

Or perhaps one of our electrical gurus could come up with a small circuit to damp the spark.  Usually a capacitor or a diode somewhere.

Roger

Hi Roger,

thank you for your anser, the switch was new when I fitted it about 5 years ago, not very long.

I guess I will grease the contacts with batterie contact grease and glue it (it is not mqade to open and close it.

LED bulb is a good idea, I will look for one.

Happy new year to you and everybody with a metric salute from me!

827767857_ahappynewyear2019toallTRdrivers.JPG.32bb3c64295f939de9aa88f3dfc0c123.JPG

Marco

When I measured the electrical resistance of my original(?) gearbox switches they all suffered from bad contacts / resistance. I sprayed some contact spray in and they were fine again. I preferred my old switches over new ones, since they had lasted so long and new ones don’t always, as Marco’s switch unfortunately shows again.

Regards,

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

When I measured the electrical resistance of my original(?) gearbox switches they all suffered from bad contacts / resistance. I sprayed some contact spray in and they were fine again. I preferred my old switches over new ones, since they had lasted so long and new ones don’t always, as Marco’s switch unfortunately shows again.

Regards,

Waldi

Waldi, a good idea to do this,

I do not know the old ones, the new ones are sealed, no contact goes inside.

Mine I had to open with my hacksaw, will see if I get it closed again, probably I clue it and set a drill on top to get spray in the next time.

I wondered about the thread M16x2 on this part...

Ciao Marco

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Waldi, a good idea to do this,

I do not know the old ones, the new ones are sealed, no contact goes inside.

Mine I had to open with my hacksaw, will see if I get it closed again, probably I clue it and set a drill on top to get spray in the next time.

I wondered about the thread M16x2 on this part...

Ciao Marco

Hi Marco,

if you measure that thread carefully it is not M16 x 2 but 5/8 x 13tpi   -----    a very odd thread.

But M16 x 2 works.

Roger

Hi Roger,

thank you for that information, 5/8 x 13 tpi seems to be very special?

My idea was from the german workshop manual. To the gear box cover for overdrive use there is written, I translate what was translated :):

"...use the therefore (the switches) delivered gear box cover. Alternative drill and cut in the existing cover two holes about 16 x 2 mm, as shown on illustration #5"

What seems to be to me M16 x 2.

BTW: it alway reminds me to my apprenticeship at a mechanical workshop when I hear "hole".

If anyone of us told the teacher something about "holes" we have been told: "If you want to make holes - take the spade and go out in the garden!"

:ph34r:

Ciao Marco

Hi Marco,

why would anybody make a such a special thread when there are standard ones so very close.

Stuart has a tap with this thread form - you can get them made.

Who ever were the original engineering shop that made these switches must have been on drugs etc.

Rogre

Marco, if your reversing lights use 42mm festoon type bulbs something like these would be an excellent LED alternative:--

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/2-x-classic-car-led-reversing-light-bulbs-glb273-5630-smd-6-l

Tim

11 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Marco,

why would anybody make a such a special thread when there are standard ones so very close.

Stuart has a tap with this thread form - you can get them made.

Who ever were the original engineering shop that made these switches must have been on drugs etc.

Rogre

I also have a tap of this thread form.....can be loaned on request.

Iain

Those taps come up on Ebay occasionally so something must have used this thread form as well. FWIW The original Lucas switches can easily be opened serviced and re-assembled and last for ever pretty much.

Stuart.

Most strange threads are used to safe own producer rights or to safe consumers from doing stupid things.

My reversing light is a Lucas L661, guess the bulb / socket is B15s21W (PY21W).

Found this at eBay.

1995934202_NOSreversinglightswitch.thumb.jpg.da6f87cacf9950f02614e28fb060b3b5.jpg

Hi Marco,

The L661 reversing light is normally fitted with a single 382 bulb - single filament, 21 watt, with SCC cap.

That switch on eBay seems rather expensive to me...!

I do have a spare SS10 switch which is available for £15.00 plus the cost  of postage.

Regards, Richard

1.jpg