Live axles...What the heck is this?

5 minutes ago, Andy303 said:

Stuart:

I had not noticed that, but I will take a look tonight. No banging or anything, seems to ride nice. The rear is raised slightly compared to the old ones, but looks correct.

Andy

I did mine 27 years ago and I know back then there was some concern in the US with ones supplied over there that in their customers words "It sat like a Jack Rabbit!" I put some TR3 axle bump rubbers on which stopped the initial banging.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
22 hours ago, RobG said:

Peter,

For me to find out if the M86 would split it would be great.

Let's wait and see what I get back from machine shop.

In the meantime have a think how much you want for it and add on a courier cost as Pinner is a long slog M25 nightmare for me from Sussex.

Thanks

RobG

The tool did as described 

I separated both the TR4 shafts I have.   The bearings and seals are scrap.

Pushed an 1/8” hardened pin in the split pin hole & refitted nut to stop the shaft end crushing when the tool pressure is applied.

Cheers

Peter W

7AEB7A00-DB41-4AA4-956C-F3AABEA7C6FD.jpeg

87CB6851-5DAB-4CAC-A6F9-14573471E97E.jpeg

8 hours ago, stuart said:

I did mine 27 years ago and I know back then there was some concern in the US with ones supplied over there that in their customers words "It sat like a Jack Rabbit!" I put some TR3 axle bump rubbers on which stopped the initial banging.

Stuart.

Had a look-see. Appears to be plenty of clearance now, although there is evidence that at some point the axle hit the top of the frame with a vengeance. I suspect a previous owner allowed the bump stop(s) to deteriorate or simply bottomed it out very badly. That may have weakened the axle tubes in the diff housing. Mine was actively leaking on the left side before the rebuild.

IMG_3556.jpg

7 hours ago, Andy303 said:

Had a look-see. Appears to be plenty of clearance now, although there is evidence that at some point the axle hit the top of the frame with a vengeance. I suspect a previous owner allowed the bump stop(s) to deteriorate or simply bottomed it out very badly. That may have weakened the axle tubes in the diff housing. Mine was actively leaking on the left side before the rebuild.

IMG_3556.jpg

You dont have any bump stops to the chassis fitted I see, I couldnt really find any information on what was fitted originally so I fitted the TR4 type on the axle tubes

Stuart.

photo1567.jpg

1 hour ago, stuart said:

You dont have any bump stops to the chassis fitted I see, I couldnt really find any information on what was fitted originally so I fitted the TR4 type on the axle tubes

Stuart.

photo1567.jpg

Oh, but I do. That photo was taken from the RH side in front of the axle.

53 minutes ago, Andy303 said:

Oh, but I do. That photo was taken from the RH side in front of the axle.

What do you have fitted, cant see any on the tubes

Stuart.

29 minutes ago, stuart said:

What do you have fitted, cant see any on the tubes

Stuart.

To be clear, my car is a TR4A Solid Rear Axle. The bump stop is mounted on the frame, behind the axle.

17 minutes ago, Andy303 said:

To be clear, my car is a TR4A Solid Rear Axle. The bump stop is mounted on the frame, behind the axle.

So is mine, theyre the bump stops for the shocks not the axle tubes

Copy of Rear axle 006.jpg

On my live axle 4A, on each side there is one rubber cone on the frame pointing up for the lever shock stop, and one cone on the body pointing down for the axle stop. The axle ones also have a metal spacer.
There’s also a third cone in the center of the body for the diff stop (though I understand some have a rectangular one instead of a cone).

Jim

2 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

On my live axle 4A, on each side there is one rubber cone on the frame pointing up for the lever shock stop, and one cone on the body pointing down for the axle stop. The axle ones also have a metal spacer.
There’s also a third cone in the center of the body for the diff stop (though I understand some have a rectangular one instead of a cone).

Jim

Same as mine, Im just trying to establish if they ever used the earlier axle tube bump rubbers or not. The rectangular one is TR4 only not Solid axle 4a

Stuart.

Copy of Rear axle 003.jpg

Rear axle 004 - Copy.jpg

Edited by stuart

My car of course is exactly the same. My original thought was that a badly deteriorated (squashed) or missing shock bump stop would allow more downward travel of the axle, enough to hit the frame with a bang.

The cone TR4a stop which contacts the diff from off the underneath the rear seat panel is an anti leaf spring wind up stop. (Really, the spring will adopt a S shape under torsion), it also helps prevent the diff breather tube punching a neat dimple into the diff bulge ( ask me etc…). 
On the TR4 as said it is a rectangle type shape which fits underneath on the rear seat panel. Neither stops the droop of the axle, the only bump stop which prevents a nice bruise in the chassis top shape ( as you’ve found out) is the wrap around axle tube bump stop which also benefits from the axle restraint strap above it and helps prevent excessive Axle tube movement upwards also.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Mick, Stuart, don’t mean to hijack the post, but I’ve always wondered why the live axle TR4A didn’t get the axle check straps that the TR4 had. Was it due to the way the leaf springs are mounted on the 4A chassis?

Jim

Don’t know, haven’t got the live axle 4a maybe Stuart has an idea ?

Mick Richards

14 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

Mick, Stuart, don’t mean to hijack the post, but I’ve always wondered why the live axle TR4A didn’t get the axle check straps that the TR4 had. Was it due to the way the leaf springs are mounted on the 4A chassis?

Jim

I would say more likely the shape of the chassis at that point as its at an angle to the axle plus with the lowering blocks on the springs I suspect they deemed it unnecessary. Also dont forget they were essentially back converting these cars from IRS configuration so it might have been not even thought about. Who knows 56 yrs later.

Stuart.