TR2 UNDER DASH DETAILS

I have been making good progress on my long door restoration.

The engine bay is almost complete but still with the high port head and carbies. I have a low port being crack tested and once it is done and I find a good set of 1 1/2" carbies they will go on. The Skinners soft top, tonneau and upholstery and carpet kits are here. The seats are being sandblasted and primed ready for painting and reassembly. 

I have bled the brakes and clutch and all looks ok. I used Silicon (Dot5) brake fluid and if there is a possibility of a leak this stuff finds it. I have a good pedal for both after much stuffing around.

The fuel tank needs an internal sealing applied and it has had a new bottom fitted so I have to get the outlet and drain fittings installed.

The dash has been upholstered and installed. Today I installed all the instruments and switches etc and am after some details for under the dash. The oil pressure and temp gauges are connected and it is almost ready for the sparkie to complete the wiring. I have done most of it but it looks amateurish so I will get it tidied up professionally.

I see on the Moss site a range of clips for the speedo and tacho cables, the oil pressure gauge pipe and the temp gauge capillary tube. When I did my other TR2 many years ago I don't recall it having any clips or securing methods, I think everything just went through the firewall with no securing clips.

I would greatly appreciate advice on all the details for how the cables and wires under the dash were arranged and secured. I want it to be as per from the dealer so am not after any methods owners have used that aren't factory original. 

Once I have got the under dash done, the fuel tank in and the wiring set up she will be driveable, I hope.

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

Edited by John McCormack

Hi John. These photos from my recently completed long door may or may not help. There are technical bulletins on, I recall, rev counter cable and temperature gauge capillary routing. Wiring is a rats nest and always has been as far as I know.  Individual wires and screw terminals do not for tidiness make.

John

PC310001a.jpg

PC310002a.jpg

PC310004a.jpg

PC310005a.jpg

Thank you very much for these photos. I will use them to try to arrange the mess as tidily as possible.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:40 AM, cjstoodley said:

Coming along nicely John.

On the road for your late summer/autumn ??

Chris

Thanks Chris. Probably nearer our winter, June/July. There is still a lot to do with the detail.

It will take me time to find all the bits I am missing such as slot head screws for all the bits attached with them, heater vents for the demisters, some upholstery bits etc.

I need to get the low port head sorted and find some 1 1/2" carbies. I have a good lead on the latter from a fellow TR Register UK member.

No rush, I have the other TR2 to drive.

Edited by John McCormack

I seem to recall Carl Fitchett at TR Traders had recently received a mixed shipment of TR blocks/engines and many other major components from the US. If you get stuck he may be worth contacting, although shipping to Australia would be slow and costly.

His advertised UK contact number is  07831 826877.

Best

Chris

• 1 year later...