Strange ticking noise

Hi all, my 4A engine has just started making a quiet click-click noise. The engine rebuilt about 23000 miles ago  runs very quietly and the exhaust is standard but this noise is when warm at tickover. It is random, not there when reving  engine,  just every 2-4 seconds a quiet click, click. Tried running with rocker cover off and it’s not tappets, seems lower down.

Performance on road is same as usual and cannot be heard whilst driving. At moment I’m using car as normal, next outing mid jan as don’t know where to look next.

All suggestions welcome and a Happy new year to all.

Chris

Hi Chris,

May be worth removing 1 spark plug at a time and then starting the car on 3 to see if the noise is narrowed to one cylinder area. Insulate the spark plug connector or remove the lead from the distributor cap to avoid spurious other clicks.

Mick Richards

Thanks to all,  so I will try, in order;

Rogers listening tube (I have one somewhere) don’t think it’s cam as no tappet  noise with rocker cover off.

Micks removing plugs next.

Tony, could be timing chain, it’s done 23000 miles, some don’t last long, listening tube will check.

Chilliman, don’t think exhaust gasket as had this in past.

AlanR, could be ignition but like you I would expect intervals to be more repetative, but will check. 

It’s more like two metal peas in a bucket with random hits.

If I  hadn’t lifted the bonnet then I would never have noticed it, maybe.

PS, Roger, I’m going to Limply Stoke in TR if weather remains ok so may see you there.

Regards Chris

Hi all, went for 50 mile run today as dry and 12deg and before I left I took the dist cap off just to check. Well there was a small amount of brass dust near one of the terminals and a bit of damp near the mating face. Cleaned it up and the red rotor arm, put back and set off.

Checked when we arrived 28 miles later and no click click noises. Checked later when back home and still all OK, so it was either the dirty dist cap or something else that's fixed itself.    Here's hoping I don't have to update this. :unsure:

Regards Chris

Edited by ChrisR-4A