Headlight relays - Main beam warning on, other issues

Ian,

you should have 2 wires to terminal 85 since it can be activated by either the column stalk or by the foot switch so:

one from the column stalk

And one from the foot switch.

do you have these?

Waldi

Edit: and the same applies for the “outgoing” contact to feed the main filaments and the warning light.

Edited by Waldi
1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Ian,

you should have 2 wires to terminal 85 since it can be activated by either the column stalk or by the foot switch so:

one from the column stalk

And one from the foot switch.

do you have these?

Waldi

Edit: and the same applies for the “outgoing” contact to feed the main filaments and the warning light.

Hi Waldi,

The flasher switch on the stalk has a wire that runs to the foot switch, then a single wire runs out to both main beams, it is this signal wire that I have connected to pin 86, this should then energise the relay and pass the current down to both main beam supplies via a double bullet connector.  I have the instructions for the Moss TR6 headlamp relay kit and I'm doing exactly as they suggest.

I bought the relay kit from Rimmers and yet to fit it...…..slightly off topic, they supplied fused relays but I'm not very keen on their configuration, I'd prefer a relay with an integrated fuse and being me I would like all things neat & tidy. I've tried all the usual places but can't find a waterproof relay box that will accommodate  4 fused relays, does anyone know if one exists?

Richard.

Hi Ian,

following the Moss diagram is probably a good idea; you can add it to your wiring information for later use.

Hi Richard, 

I have ordered relais bases with an integral fuse, you can couple these together. 4 relais in a box with cover is also available over here, and I’m sure in the UK too. I ordered from RDAE.nl, unfortunately only in Dutch language.

I’m pretty sure someone with knowledge of UK suppliers will come along soon.

Regards,

Waldi

What about just using the relay for the regular main lighting?  The High beams are very seldom used unless you're driving rurally a long distance at night.  Otherwise, it's the occasional flash?

If I'm reading the most recent description correctly the regular lights seem to work ok with the relay?  That's going to sort out 99% of the issue with taking the load off the old circuitry.  Plus if the high beam circuit hasn't been used as much it shouldn't be running hot as much?

5 hours ago, matttnz said:

What about just using the relay for the regular main lighting?  The High beams are very seldom used unless you're driving rurally a long distance at night.  Otherwise, it's the occasional flash?

If I'm reading the most recent description correctly the regular lights seem to work ok with the relay?  That's going to sort out 99% of the issue with taking the load off the old circuitry.  Plus if the high beam circuit hasn't been used as much it shouldn't be running hot as much?

This is how I’ve left it Matt, as you say, the main beams are very rarely used. At getting on for 50 years old, my loom could probably do with replacing, I just don’t relish the prospect of having to try and swap it out on a running car.

Aye, I'm thinking much the same things!

Loom is aging ungracefully but I don't relish rewiring on a car that's currently running.  Inserting relays where I can to prolong what's there.

I inserted relays in the front left corner of the engine bay, where the feeds for dip and main split to feed left and right lights.

this allowed me to avoid any changes to the original loom whilst still taking all the load off the old wiring.

all thats needed is a pair of new, fused, power feeds for the lights and earthing.

steve

Ian 

I would be tempted to replace the lot and start from scratch, if its all been messed about with. Either that or get a cheap digital AVO and start tracing wires and labelling them up.

Dave

58 minutes ago, DaveN said:

Ian 

I would be tempted to replace the lot and start from scratch, if its all been messed about with. Either that or get a cheap digital AVO and start tracing wires and labelling them up.

Dave

The majority of the messing about seems to be from when a PO moved the ignition switch to the steering column. I have ordered an extension harness from RTR and will try to neaten that job up and see if that improves things, from what I’ve read rewiring would seem rather complex in a running car and I don’t fancy stripping the car apart if I don’t have to.