tr6 small dial lighting

Hi,

I am putting in LED bulbs in the Dasboard and i have a new loom. The Led bulbs supplied are the screw in type which is fine except when i come to the 4 small 

instruments, they look like they should be a bayonet fitting and i would of thought they would all be the same ie one or the other . Do wiring looms differ or am i missing something?

Many Thanks,

Nick

Nick,

Unfortunately the new looms come with the push type fittings for the small gauges. You can get leds to suit. They are polarity sensitive, so check before fitting, as some of the access behind the dash is limited, to say the least!

Colin

Hi Rob,

you can leave the Rheostat in place.

Max will give you full brightness

Min will cut them out

Anything in between is up to the gods.

There are circuits that dim LED's very nicely. But first see how bright they are.

Roger

The dimmer is really redundant. I have fitted leds and taken the gauges apart and painted the casing white inside. They are better but you wouldn't want to dim them! A useful upgrade is a led green bulb for the indicator light in the Speedo. You can get one that isn't polarity sensitive so it works in both indicator directions. It makes it much easier to see on a sunny day. 

Colin

I fitted leds and for the speedo and tach they needed dimming, less so for the small gauges

i built a dimmer from a cheap module from ebay

the challenge is that the module i chose actually pulse wave modulates on the negative, impossible on the std setup

so i used new , insulated , bulb sockets and left the old ones undisturbed .

worthwhile modification, and yes the ‘special’ led for the indicator repeter is great too!

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6