It was designed for brakes.  It has always worked for me.  I guess that unless you hang your head out of the window and stamp on the brakes so the brakes get red hot, you are unlikely to receive enough fumes to harm anyone. :ph34r:

Cheers,

Jerry

Roger,

Thanks.  Looks to be a little dearer than the stuff Wynns puts in their cans of brake cleaner.  Maybe that's why they don't use IPA....or is there another reason?

I there a chemist in the house?

Cheers,

Jerry

1 hour ago, cbxman said:

Thanks.  Looks to be a little dearer than the stuff Wynns puts in their cans of brake cleaner.  Maybe that's why they don't use IPA....or is there another reason?

Jerry, Wynns brake cleaner is mostly IPA. I bought 5 litres of pure IPA from an ebay supplier for £9/99 delivered, and will decant some into a trigger spray when I need to.

I just checked a can of "Motip Professional Brake Cleaner" and it contains naphtha and benzol. Hycote Brake Cleaner is acetone, naphtha, butane, isobutane, and (mostly) IPA.

Pete

Hi Andrew, That really is a cracker! I’ve been looking for a project like that myself, did you get it from a dealer or find it privately?

To remove ACF 50, I’ve found the best product is SDoc100 gel, white spirit will also work but not as well.

Cheers Mike

Thanks for the info Hamish.  It seems that all brake cleaners are not equal.  I wonder if they all create Phosgene when heated or whether there is a safe version, or whether it is one ingredient.

Cheers,

Jerry

On 1/9/2019 at 8:39 AM, Rawls said:

Hi Andrew, That really is a cracker! I’ve been looking for a project like that myself, did you get it from a dealer or find it privately?

To remove ACF 50, I’ve found the best product is SDoc100 gel, white spirit will also work but not as well.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

No, I bought it from a member of the Honda SOHC forum who is selling his collection of 25 bikes (now 23) - he also has an early sandcast and two diecast KOs in various states of restoration.  If your'e interested drop me a PM and I'll let you have Pete's contact number.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:23 PM, 71 V12 said:

There seems to be a common affliction!

89AE5025-2A71-43E0-9933-1BC73E827FB6.jpeg

4FDC5A82-0388-44F2-BB59-D2E4969C632A.jpeg

Yes, there certainly seems to be - looks a great project, is that a K2 (US K3/4?) - what colour will it be?

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Well spotted Andrew,1974K4. It’s the first Japanese motorcycle I have restored and it has been a really fun, challenging project. Very well engineered machine and still well supported by Honda for many of the parts required.

i could not resist candy gold......

9B4C7076-4A5D-40D5-8493-DF46C901ADB6.jpeg

94C6F3ED-3C51-40CB-9DC5-0BB06ED14B19.jpeg

19C4890D-B424-47A1-B690-276893D94208.jpeg

CBDD3ED6-A717-430C-8237-7C06693BDFC9.jpeg

On 1/9/2019 at 11:03 AM, cbxman said:

Thanks for the info Hamish.  It seems that all brake cleaners are not equal.  I wonder if they all create Phosgene when heated or whether there is a safe version, or whether it is one ingredient.

Only products containing perchloroethylene can make phosgene.
It's been a while since perch had any major uses. I was surprised to read it is still an ingredient in some proprietary blends.The following from memory.
If perchloroethylene is heated to high temperatures it decomposes. One of the decomposition products is phosgene. Phosgene is an extremely  toxic gas. (it was used in WW1 gas attacks and in various conflicts since). Welding (Flame or arc) produces high enough temperatures as does drawing perch vapours through a cigarette, which can be fatal. Perch fumes enter the fag, but they come out as phosgene which enters the smoker's lungs.
Perch has a higher boiling point than water so is not that volatile, parts need to be allowed to dry before working on them. Over exposure to perch fumes can be hazardous in a number of ways.It has anaesthetic properties - getting dozy in a workshop is not good.
AS well as making you sleepy over exposure can produce flu like symptoms, if this happens victim, must be kept calm and  and prevented from exertion which can cause heart failure. Immediately taken to fresh air and made to lie down for some hours till recovered. Continued over exposure can cause kidney liver damage. (These last  would most likely need industrial quantities or really reckless behaviour, are mentioned for completeness. )
Perch has been thought to be carcinomic.  I'm not sure if it still so is. It probably has high greenhouse  potential - most chlorinated solvents do.
Perch is not flammable, unlike IPA which is. So no smoking or naked flames sparks etc when using that or blends of it. It will also make you dozy  and can give you a terrible hangover  type symptoms. Like Perch, IPA fumes are heavy and will go down rather than up, so can collect in your pit for example. Unlike perch it is quite volatile and has low flashpoint. Like other alcohols IPA burns with an invisible flame  and in the right air mix vapours can explode.

Footnote: Before Health and safety went bananas I used to demonstrate the dangers of mixing flame and alcohol by putting a few drops into an empty 5 litre container and giving it a shake. The container then looked empty.  Then I laid it on its size and held a lighted taper to its mouth. THis produced an impressive roar and  a fraction of a second later to audience surprise container whacked itself into the  wall opposite. Drove the point home by saying that was less than 1cc imagine what 5,000 could do.

Mike

Edited by MikeF

Mike,  Thanks for the info. I will consider the ingredients of the next purchase of brake cleaner! :huh:

Cheers,

Jerry

9 hours ago, 71 V12 said:

Well spotted Andrew,1974K4. It’s the first Japanese motorcycle I have restored and it has been a really fun, challenging project. Very well engineered machine and still well supported by Honda for many of the parts required.

i could not resist candy gold......

9B4C7076-4A5D-40D5-8493-DF46C901ADB6.jpeg

94C6F3ED-3C51-40CB-9DC5-0BB06ED14B19.jpeg

19C4890D-B424-47A1-B690-276893D94208.jpeg

CBDD3ED6-A717-430C-8237-7C06693BDFC9.jpeg

That's coming on great, was it a DK barn find per chance?

I see you've fitted the earlier exhausts (HM300 (69 - 71)) with removable baffles, a good choice as these give a much better sound - are they replicas or originals?

I'm guessing you're using David Silver for parts, sometimes DS is not the cheapest or can't supply and when that's the case I've started using CMS: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda_model8286/

I love the candy gold, my 71 K1 was this colour back in 1977 - who did the paintwork?

Cheers, Andrew

Great quality work.  On great bikes  

And all very 1970’s that candy gold goes perfectly with the lilac carpet. 

H

Hi Andrew,

i had been looking for a long time until I bought this bike sight unseen from a guy in Alton, Hants. Barn find? Well it had been sitting outside in Arizona for 30+ years. It was weather seized, a broken fin and a few bits missing but with only 5000 miles showing I felt it would be a good basis for a full restoration. 

On getting the bike home I soaked the bores in deisel for a week or so and unsized it by rocking the bike to and fro in gear. Within an hour it was running well on all four cylinders.

However a full nut a bolt restoration has almost been completed including full engine build with new seals , replaced kick start spring and so on. Again well spotted HM 300 reproductions. Really excellent fit and they sound so sweet.

i have not fitted the tank and side panels yet, they were painted a while ago and I don’t recall the company name but based near Ipswich. Top job, stripes are painted not decals. If it is of interest I will find the company name.

Just finished wiring and fitting the lamp, getting there now!

2E00C78D-E626-434C-98E5-D086C150106F.jpeg

957CB303-DC6F-471D-A26B-FF6DC03C2479.jpeg

1 hour ago, 71 V12 said:

Hi Andrew,

i had been looking for a long time until I bought this bike sight unseen from a guy in Alton, Hants. Barn find? Well it had been sitting outside in Arizona for 30+ years. It was weather seized, a broken fin and a few bits missing but with only 5000 miles showing I felt it would be a good basis for a full restoration. 

On getting the bike home I soaked the bores in deisel for a week or so and unsized it by rocking the bike to and fro in gear. Within an hour it was running well on all four cylinders.

However a full nut a bolt restoration has almost been completed including full engine build with new seals , replaced kick start spring and so on. Again well spotted HM 300 reproductions. Really excellent fit and they sound so sweet.

i have not fitted the tank and side panels yet, they were painted a while ago and I don’t recall the company name but based near Ipswich. Top job, stripes are painted not decals. If it is of interest I will find the company name.

Just finished wiring and fitting the lamp, getting there now!

2E00C78D-E626-434C-98E5-D086C150106F.jpeg

957CB303-DC6F-471D-A26B-FF6DC03C2479.jpeg

That's stunning,, nice work and a good find - hopefully it will be ready for the Spring to be ridden and enjoyed - Spring is the target for my K1, first major ride will then be down to the Ace for a fat-boy breakfast.

Alton is just down the road from me, the guy has been quiet for a while but he does get some good stuff in.

Yes, grateful for the contact details of your painter, mine won't be ready for paint until after the summer as I want to use it first to just make sure all is running well and no other major expense is lurking - I suspect not, as with only 20k on the clock from new it's still running in!! 

Cheers, Andrew

3 minutes ago, WELLSY said:

It seems quite a few of us have bikes and TR's.

here is mine, renovated 4 years now .

Simon

The jota is was one of my wish list bikes. 

The only bike bike I have left now is a Honda xl185 

anybody want it ?

i have a tr hard top to pay for. 

3 hours ago, WELLSY said:

It seems quite a few of us have bikes and TR's.

here is mine, renovated 4 years now .

Simon

DSC05673.JPG

Hi Simon,

Very, nice - is that a 3C or an actual Jota?

I always fancied a green 1200 Mirage for the more upright riding position.

Yes, there appears to be quite a few of us with a passion for classic and modern bikes, maybe I should start another thread were we can post photos, stories etc?

Cheers, Andrew

Bob, that's simply lovely - I almost bought a new Trident T160 in late 1976 on the 'never-never' as a 19 year old (I think I'd still be paying it off!) but had concerns about reports in MCN of NVT going down the tubes (and they did in 1977), so bought a used 1971 CB750 K1 and loved it.

Have thought about buying a Trident recently, but with 3 bikes and 2 TRs in the garage space it pretty tight.

Cheers, Andrew