Well, I've gone and bought another 'survivor', but this time it's a 1971 Honda CB750 K1, 20,648 miles from new which has been stored since 2015 and needs some TLC to get back to its best.

It's been covered in ACF-15 and now I need to remove it - so before I go and just smear it and make it worse by using the wrong products/process, anyone got any experience of getting this stuff off?

Cheers, Andrew

48397278_10213350474771555_8246410278598

49170031_10213350474531549_7275329284053

Edited by Andrew Smith

You're just a boy George,  don't know anything about the product,  just like the style.

Conrad.

Edited by openroad

Hi Andrew,

have you got a can of the stuff - the instructions may have a removal technique.

Otherwise why not start with something that will not damage the bike. White Spirit works on most wax/oily substances.  And the hot soapy water to remove the WS.

Roger

Nice Bike.  Always fancied one of those.  Is it a runner?  It looks well cared for.  In the spring enjoy it....  :)

I would use brake cleaner on all the metal parts (as long as you don't want to weld to it later!!).  If the paint is two pack, then brake cleaner won't touch it.  Not sure about period 'candy' colours though, you might have to try on an inconspicuous place, but I expect it would be OK.  I use it for cleaning pretty much everything on a bike.  wear gloves though as it like to remove the oil from your hands too!

I used this on bikes before. It says to spray “once a month” or so for bikes in regular use so I guess that is because it does come of with time anyway. When I washed the bike with the normal soap I used and then polished painted surfaces and used metal polish on the chrome/metal parts it came off.

Magnus

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice and tips - hopefully it'll be back on the road in the Spring Andy. 

Yes Hamish, it's been well cared for.

No Roger, haven't got any and can't find the manufacturer's instructions for removal.

Jerry,

It was ridden into the PO's garage in 2015 and hasn't been started since.  It turns over and oil is getting to the camshaft (always a concern on these), but fuel was left in the tank and it's minging!   So I drained the old fuel yesterday and will need to treat the surface rust that now lines the tank - ethanol is satin's liquid!  The carbs will need checking over too and possibly (likely) the O rings will need replacing and jets blown through.

I've searched and found a product called 'Metal Rescue' to cure the tank - anyone used this stuff before, it's not cheap at about £30 for 414ml concentrate (makes a gallon), see: 

Conrad,

Ahh, style is everything (you know that) and if you know the product it helps - luckily, I had a CB750 K1 in the mid-70's, so know them well, see below but don't laugh.......

15107472_10208176507265601_7342439928740

Cheers and Happy Christmas to all.

Andrew (aka 'George')

Bloody Hell, I bet all the Redheads Fancied you and the bike. !! 

You will have fun getting it back on the road, and much less of a task than a TR .

Conrad.

5 minutes ago, openroad said:

Bloody Hell, I bet all the Redheads Fancied you and the bike. !! 

You will have fun getting it back on the road, and much less of a task than a TR .

Conrad.

Yep, sure did mate and this is the redhead I pulled in Feb 77, married in April 81 and we still are - despite my 'fashion sense'......:lol::lol:

1237851_10200725227748270_1590174686_n.j

A Love Story at Christmas,  what could be better....

And as for Fashion, tank tops have been in and out and back in again !!

Happy Days, 

Conrad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Never heard of ACF 50 before, (seems to be a bike thing), but on reading up on the stuff it begs the question, why take it off?!!  ....... it's a lubricant, so a mild detergent will clean it up and then just refresh all the vulnerable parts of the bike, ... I'm going to get some to spray around the the suspension brackets etc.

Cheers Rob                                               

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of reply - I've been busy getting the bike ready for starting and getting the ACF-50 off - Christmas a New Year got in the way a bit!  In the end, I just used a WD40 and cleaned and polished up the bits, must say the bikes came up very nicely.  Got a few parts to replace with NOS stuff, but looking forward to the Spring.

Tim - a mate had a new F2 in 76 and it went like the clappers, as fast my K1 of the day - plus it handled much better, getting very collectible now.

After a bit of recommissioning prep, the old girl fired up first time today (first time in 3 years), it spat a lot of **** out the back (including the 20/50 I squirted into the bores) all over Bev's car......so another cleaning job for me tomorrow!

Here's a video of the bike firing up, after it warmed up the growl from the exhausts took me straight back to 1977, and for a few minutes I was 19 years old again - then my back started to ache! 

Oh, and here's a few photos of after the ACF-50 was removed:

-PAXP-deijE.gif50058861_10213421962038692_6116558884392

49270377_10213421963958740_3349272199579

49210680_10213421955198521_4741446386417

49314265_10213421959158620_5854931316629

Cheers, Andrew

How green were those hondas. 

Don't even need petrol let alone a petrol tank. 

Great find in wonderful condition. 

Very nice bike Andrew!

I wish I had not seen your video, it triggered me:) Sweet memories....

I have had several Honda 750-ties, K1, K3 and the first 16 valve (was it F1?).

Dry sump oil system, nice.

With the K3 I ended up in the IC, pneuma thorax (collapsed lung), broken ribs etc. When I came out after a week or so, I could not resist so started fixing the bike. The frame was bent, but not too much other damage, surprisingly. Fixed it myself, and during the repair, every time I had to push hard on the spanner, I felt a broken rib, still hadn’t cured apparently.

Wasn’t there a chain tensioner that you could adjust at the front of the engine?Sounds like it may need adjustment.

Enjoy the bike, and drive defensive!

All the best,

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Very nice bike Andrew!

I wish I had not seen your video, it triggered me:) Sweet memories....

I have had several Honda 750-ties, K1, K3 and the first 16 valve (was it F1?).

Dry sump oil system, nice.

With the K3 I ended up in the IC, pneuma thorax (collapsed lung), broken ribs etc. When I came out after a week or so, I could not resist so started fixing the bike. The frame was bent, but not too much other damage, surprisingly. Fixed it myself, and during the repair, every time I had to push hard on the spanner, I felt a broken rib, still hadn’t cured apparently.

Wasn’t there a chain tensioner that you could adjust at the front of the engine?Sounds like it may need adjustment.

Enjoy the bike, and drive defensive!

All the best,

Waldi

Hi Waldi, thanks I'm very happy with it.

The cam chain is fine as I adjusted it before I fired it up and then again during it's running-up, what you can hear is a mixture of the carbs out of balance and the clutch basket.

The first twin cam, four valve CBs were the CB750F and 900F which were released in 1983, the F1 and F2 were the last of the SOHCs.

$

15 hours ago, Hamish said:

How green were those hondas. 

Don't even need petrol let alone a petrol tank. 

Great find in wonderful condition. 

Trouble is Hamish, what you cant see is the trailer for the solar panels.....

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Fab bike, Andrew.

I left my F2 in the UK when I moved to Canada (I kept the Norton Atlas) and I kind of wish I hadn't...  Maybe a cafe racer version is needed.  Hmm.

Anyway - great bike.  Please post a video or two from the B-roads.

There was a thread on here I thought....hmm.. maybe somewhere else, where brake cleaner residue, when heated to welding temperatures released phosgene.

This is a link which I have just googled...not read it, but there are many like it if you care to look...

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

Enjoy

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I spotted that one yesterday. 

Clearly heating any fluid that contains TCE is not a clever things to do.  

How many home bonfires have had an aerosol of cleaning flud thrown on it - hm

Roger