I use straight SAE30, it works well. SAE30 and EP80 have the same viscosity but SAE30 does not have the Extreme Pressure additives which is needed for diffs etc. The additives are not required nor are good for overdrives.

Mick

58 minutes ago, 84gtv said:

Hi all, 

Some sources tell me to use EP80 oil in my gearbox with overdrive, others say the same oil as in the engine. What is the correct advice? 

Hi 

welcome to the forum. have you got a name.

I agree with Mick. 30 or 40 weight. I use Penrite SAE 40 gearbox oil.

The history is a little hazy.

SAE 30 was recommended up till the TR4A using the same GB. This ended up with EP90. Also for the 5 & 6 (more less the same GB).

OK they all work well - 30, 40, 80, 90 whatever,

But be warned.  Do not use engine oil in the GB/OD as it may froth and cause the OD to do silly things.  Some engine oils may well work but which ones.

ONLY use GL4 spec oil - NOT GL5 which is more common on the high street.

The GB does not have the gear types to warrant a true EP oil - more for Diffs etc - but it will work forever and a day.

Roger

2 minutes ago, 84gtv said:

Thanks Mick, I read that EP additives are not good for non ferrous parts of gearbox/overdrives so I'll go for the SAE 30 option

Regards, Phil

Hi Phil,

Halfords do a GL4 EP90 gear oil. if that is the way you want to go.

Roger

Penrite GB40 works well. 

Ive done a few trials on a gearbox and overdrive set up on a rig and found that EP90 and 20/50 tend to foam excessively until the gearbox is well up to temperature compromising the lubrication for some time after startup. 

The Penrite seems to foam less and clear at a lower temperature of around 25 deg C

The previous owner of my car used EP80/90.  It worked and it stinks.

And unrelated I have just had my box and OD rebuilt and upgraded by Peter cox a gearbox OD guru. 

He supplied  gear 40 oil. 

H

B9536119-956B-4083-84B0-0B73D30D143A.jpeg

When I reconditioned my TR2 O/D the mechanic added EP90.

After not getting it working I drained the EP, unblocked the valves and filled up with SAE40 (Castrol) as per original manuals.

All working perfectly without issues now. Just stick with a good SAE40 without weird additives and make sure your levels are correct. These specs:

SAE 40
API SF/CD

Good luck and happy TR-ing!

Note: I am in SA where the temperatures are much higher average, so you could go for SAE30 in colder climates

Dirk

Edited by irrational

I am going to have a brain enema now. So if anyone is reading this and thinks what is this bloke on. just say..... I wont be offended. Honest I really wont. Tell it like it is.

But talk of gearbox oils get me. they really do. I think that if something is designed for a system the best synergy is to stick with the lube. But the stomping foot of time does not stop and the next best thing is progress. if we stay transfixed on one idea we may not be getting the best of the available products.

I have read a few articles where people say they are going to, have or plan to put in EP 90 in their OD or otherwise box. Everyone says Noooooooo... I totally get that and would not go against the idea. 

The thing is EP90 is now so out of date and equally an oil for a classic of a certain era.

Why does no one say they plan to use say syntrans 75W FE. I can understand that maybe something like that may not go to well with the OD Pumping it. I am not an expert on the hydraulic characteristics of these new type transmission fluids. That may be a real problem. However they are very high anti wear and low friction make the modern gearboxes perform and last well. Don't smell to bad, although I like a tom cat??

These modern transmission fluids. (note not oil) have the characteristics in action of an EP but are like tea at room temp. Yep I know some metals can react with some oils. However how do the new wave of transmission fluids shape up against an GB SAE 30 or 40

Do the modern heritage oils offer the same anti wear characteristics as modern oils for moderns.

I have cleaned many a diff with EP oils on and the odd gearbox too. Horrid stuff smelly clingy but it was the progression from SAE 30 or 40. Now we have moved on loads more from that. are the more modern FE low friction oils just as much a taboo. Are they OK in a non OD???

THOUGHTS, OPINIONS?

Hi Richy,

nothing wrong in questioning the Status Quo (great band).

The Syntrans you mention may not work too well due to its low friction -

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69412-castrol-syntrans-fe-75w-fully-synthetic-car-gearbox-oil.aspx

Not good for the 'wet' OD clutch.  But it is a GL4 which is worth noting.

All the old style lubes have also been upgraded as time goes on.

So the EP90 of old is not the EP90 today. The modern oil will run OK in our boxes.

Keep thinking sideways - there are many answers out there waiting to be discovered.

Roger