Odd Door

Continuing with my CR restoration today, after applying the stone chip to the tub I focused on the doors, seems each stage of this restoration throws another surprise. I stripped the internals from the drivers door and removed all the paint, was pleasantly surprised to find quite a good door.  The nearside then had the works it was only then that I noticed it had no side impact structure and was considerably lighter than the drivers door. The drivers door is also equipped with the door card socket type door pull, both doors had been fitted with the glue on roll top door pulls.

So the question is do I look for another door with a side impact structure or for one without?

Another alternative would be to use what I have and fit TR4 type pull handles with ordinary door cappings, (cheapest option and presently most favourable)

If anyone has a half decent TR6 73 model nearside door available with the side impact structureI I could be interested. 

Another puzzle, both doors have the square holes for the TR4 type chrome door pulls, the drivers door hole centres are 120mm the near side is 124mm centres.

Paul

2 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Paul,

I have a TR4A with similar doors - what is this side impact protection etc..?

Roger

Hi Roger

its a horizontal frame approx midway up the door, feels so much heavier than the other door. I wasn't aware of the many differences in TR doors apparently there are six variants.

Merry Christmas Roger

Paul

3 minutes ago, colin3511 said:

USA door.

Colin

So are you saying the side impact equipped door was for the USA market only.

And there was me thinking I had a UK car!!

Paul

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Hi Paul,

My UK 74 CR doors do not have side impact protection.

Ok so it’s the drivers door with the side impact protection that’s incorrect for my 73 CR. 

Same door shape and fit with an extra security so I think I will leave as is and fit TR4 chrome door pulls to both doors. Unfortunately the passenger will not have side impact protection.!!

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all. 

If They ran short on the assembly line of UK spec doors in order to keep the line running they would have simply fitted what was available, it may also be that a door may have been replaced by a previous owner, a couple of my previous TR's have had the US door.

Rob

On 12/20/2018 at 12:09 AM, Paul J said:

Ok so it’s the drivers door with the side impact protection that’s incorrect for my 73 CR. 

Same door shape and fit with an extra security so I think I will leave as is and fit TR4 chrome door pulls to both doors. Unfortunately the passenger will not have side impact protection.!!

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all. 

Just reading your thread & l have the same on my  73 CR with drivers door having impact protection and none in passengers door i thought maybe this had been replaced when car had first restoration done in the past.

16 minutes ago, Richard M said:

Just reading your thread & l have the same on my  73 CR with drivers door having impact protection and none in passengers door i thought maybe this had been replaced when car had first restoration done in the past.

Hi Richard

Strange coincidence, I think you arecorrect the drivers doors are probably the first to be replaced and the best second hand doors were probably sourced from ex USA cars.

I have quite a large History file with my car but its located in the cupboard behind the Christmas tree so my mystery will not be solved until after the festive season. My CR will be rebuilt as yours with the driver getting a slightly safer ride than the passenger.

Paul