Tr6 drum brake question

884CE30B-E2C7-47FB-A712-6E4261081482.thumb.png.a5a9bfc9915adef2d48f70e356eab9ea.png

I am new to this (and don’t know what I’m doing, but going bit by bit restoring a 71 tr6. Working on the rear brakes and did one side and then noticed that when I took off the brake line on the second side there was a piece that wasn’t on the first side. Can someone be kind enough to tell me what this brass piece is and if it’s supposed to be on the other side as well.

thanks

Hi Michael,

welcome to the forum. 

Oh dear what have you been doing !!

That is the end of a hydraulic pipe and probably should go into the slave cylinder.

Have a look at the end of the pipe #10  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/brake-system/rear-brakes/brake-pipes-hoses-tr5-6.html

You need these pipes connected very securely.  Yours looks very rusty and icky. You may need some new pipes/connectors or possibly consider replacing the whole system.

Roger

Hi Michael,

if you are not really experienced it is good to seek advise, especially on safety related jobs like this.

The Moss website (and catalog), the workshop manual, Youtube and local TR friends are your best company.

if in doubt, always ask, help is always near on this great forum.

good luck,

Waldi

This double flare pipe end wasn't known to be used on a TR6 by a few classic brake pipe maker's that I tried, probably not an issue if you buy a brake line kit though and not just the individual pipe. I bought one from Robsport and was careful to explain what I needed as far as the flares and the correct one turned up. 

Additionally the adjuster for the rear drum is at the bottom opposite the wheel cylinder 

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
More information

Regarding brake pipe connections and indeed a huge range of other useful items there is a company call Car Builder Solutions and it is well worth downloading their catalogue. You could, for example use a flexible brake pipe connection to repair your broken pipe end using very simple compression connections designed for the job. For example cut the pipe at a suitable place where you can get at it and replace cut section with a 300mm flexible connection.

Coming from the kit car world one does this on most kits (as you need flexible connections). Before I get shouted down, obviously one needs to ensure all safety aspects and support brake pipes as appropriate.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk There are other suppliers too but these are now one of the most well known suppliers. They also have very useful 'How to do it' videos including these compression brake pipe connections.

HTH.