Assistance please

Firstly I will say hello, I have been a member for over a while now, joining before I even had a TR, this was sorted back in November 2017 when i purchased a TR6 to go along with my mark one GT6.

I now have a TR5 and wanted to improve the instrument lighting with LED bulbs, looking at the forum and with workshop manual in hand yesterday I  managed to get get the dash out and instruments ( did this as likely I am going to go for a lighter coloured dash ) however this morning I noticed a spade connector that was not connected to anything.  From the wiring loom there are three wires two of which go to the heater switch , there is a spare male so I am not sure if I disconnected it somehow by accident when I took dash out or whether it is not supposed to be connected. I have looked at the workshop manual which does show three wires but to be honest I have little to no knowledge re car electrics.  I took a photo which I hope helps someone advise if it is to be connected.

Regards

Andy

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

Andy. 

You our should have 3 wires going to the heater switch.  So if you currently have 2 and a spare unconnected wire then likely the unconnected should go to the switch.  However the wire colours you have are different to what they should be. Have you got a Clayton heater which uses different wiring colours?

Regards

dave

Andy

Welcome to the forum and TR ownership!!

Afraid I can't help with your immediate problem, but you mention possibly changing your dash.

If you haven't already got a lighter coloured dash, I may be able to help you with one. 

If interested, send me a PM ( personal message - click on the envelope icon at the top of the page)

Cheers

Rich 

Hi Andy,

welcome to the forum.

It looks like somebody has been helping you by fitting non-standard colour wiring.

Yellow is usually for the Overdrive.

Purple for the horn

Red for the dash lights

Just to complicate it further you have two male spades unoccupied - choices, choices.

Have  look here for the wire colours - not TR5 but TR250.  http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Looking at the bend on the yellow I would suggest it goes next to the purple wire.  

You could try it  - the circuit is fused - you should have two speeds as normal. If it works then bingo otherwise plug into other male.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Thank you all for the welcome and guidance.

Re heater and to answer a couple of questions , I am not sure if it is a Clayton style I assume it will have a name on it and It is a plain yellow wire, I am guessing  I must have knocked it off when fumbling around taking the dash off .

I will connect it as Roger suggests and see what happens , I thank you for your prompt responses and I am certain I will be here again at some point in the future.

kind regards

Andy 

49 minutes ago, Nigel A said:

I have a Clayton heater which is 3 speed, but the original switch is for a two speed fan. I left the slow speed wire terminated with an insulated connector in case I ever decided to use it.

Nigel

Nigel 

just so I know ( looking to get some knowledge on these matters) if it was a Clayton 3 speed would it only have two wires then ? Not sure how these things work ....so your fan has three speeds and you can use all three ? 

Andy 

Hi Andy

the Clayton fan has 3 wires for the 3 speeds plus an earth. If you use the original switch then the switch itself will give you off plus two speeds.

You therefore can only have 2 speeds using the original switch so have to decide which speed on the Clayton heater not to use and don’t connect this wire. Can’t remember the colours but trial and error connecting direct to the battery will show the different speeds.

hope this makes sense but recovering from a bit of a hangover.

Nigel

Nigel thank you for the explanation, I perhaps would be better if I tackled it with a hang over !

Tom thank you for the wiring diagram, I am going to have a better look over the weekend and see if I can trace the too and from of the wires.

I went into the garage this evening thinking I would do what Roger had suggested , I reconnected the battery but nothing happened , I did not want  to start it but simply have power . I currently have all instruments disconnected would this cause the issue.? There was no fuel pump prime / radio and no usual clicking sound when I did try and turn her over. The batter was totally fine when I diconnected it only 5 days ago ?

Starting to think changing the bulbs and possible dash was not the best job to start on ......the wife has not been in the car and she is not happy with me !

Andy

Fireman ....I am based in Staffordshire , been doing some reading for some things to loomat and realised I was given a multi meter a long time back and never used it.  ( see below )

John thank you for your advice , I will reconnect this and give it a go before I explore anything else , hopefully all will be good thank you very much . 

Andy 

Andy

I was near Stafford for a few years - there are a good few local members of the Stoke group (monthly meetings just south of Stone) that I am sure will allow you to pick their brains!

Good luck!

Cheers

Ian

Ian thank you for your pointer to local group.

I have managed to establish that it is a Clayton Heater and operates on two speed so from what Fireman has shown it's likely that the cable was not connected as the control knob is original and thus two speed. For peace of mind I have tested the battery as I found my multi meter I was given, first time round I got the red wire in the wrong connection and I has sparks ! Thank fully no damage done and I managed to get it right , battery read 12.9v .

I will go for Johns advice re Amp meter and all should be good . 

Thank you you again for all your guidance and advice, it is very much appreciated.

Andy