Do you know what this piece of metal is?

HI, I’ve been renovating my interior and haven’t moved the car for  months, today I had to push the car out and this piece of metal was laying on the floor under the RHS rear  suspension and brake area. I’ve had the car a year not touched this area, I’ve looked at the online diagrams of these areas  and do not recognise this.

Does anyone with experience in this region recognise what and where this piece is metal comes from, it is well aged and rusty?

Thanks Phil 

bit1.JPG

bit2.JPG

bit3.JPG

Certainly looks like an axle shaft key & is pretty much the correct size but the only ones I've ever seen on the Tr's are square ended and not rounded like that....although it does look familiar

Hi Phil,

any keys in any position would only fall out IF the assembly was broken down for maintenance etc.

Look at item 61  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/axles-differentials/rear-axle-tr5-6.html

similar shape.  BUT how would it escape.

Possibly came out by previous owner and was sitting on the chassis frame. It looks a bit weathered.

Not something taken out by accident.

Roger 

PS - if you remove the drive shaft you may be able to look into the slot where it should live - or poke a wire in.  !!!! 

Edited by RogerH

Gents,

Thanks for the great advice, and it looks exactly like item '61' on the Moss diagram! The previous owner documented all the work he did over the ten years he had it, no axle work (but I could ask him), I've never had to do any axle work, but surely if that shaft key is missing the axle the shaft would spin,? so it's more investigative work after I've finished the interior.

I'm sure its purely coincidentally, but I get a knocking noise like a cracked spring from the off side rear  in the last 3 months when it was on the road---- same side ....hmmm. A visual inspection then on ramps did't highlight anything was wrong, I think its time to get it on a 4 post lift and further investigation.

Thanksl Phil

Hi Phil,

that key may or may not be from the drive output axle shaft.   It simply can't drop out as it is enclosed.  However if it isn't in position the drive shaft may well still operate

as they can be very tight - try taking one apart.

The knocking noise could well be a broken diff mount pin attachment.  Have a serious look at the offside front pin - especially where it is welded at the top.

I may be easier to feel than see.  Should feel typically smooth for a weld.

Good luck

Roger

Hi Roger, thanks for your thoughts on the 'knocking' , I have since read up on this and could well be the cause and  this is not a DIY fix. 

Hi, Stand thanks for that, more evidence pointing to the axle