Diff Pinion Oil seal/castellated nut torque

Evening all

After a battle to split the output shafts the oil seals were replaced along with the pinion seal.

The plan with the pinion was to mark the nut and pin position at 12 o'clock before slackening the nut. To say that the nut is meant to be torqued up to 120 Ibf/ft it came off easily once the pin was out and the number of turns noted. The seal was replaced and the nut replaced with the same number of turns but its no where near the 120. That said there is no fore/aft play and it feels smooth with just a hint of back lash at the two out put shafts (no oil in case).

Will this be ok ?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

in theory the tightness of the nut should not affect the pinion preload as that is sorted by the spacer tube and shims - but I would suggest that life is not that simple.

on the earlier cars the Torque is lower at 80 to 100 lbs,ft.  

It needs some torque  so why not go in in steps and see what it does to the preload.  40lbs,ft give the flange a turn, 60 etc etc 

if it was me I would stop at less than 80.   See where the split pin hole aligns and stop there.

Roger

Thanks Roger

That makes sense. I'll give that a go and see what the torque is at the current position of the nut, which is the position it was in prior to undoing it and go from there.

Andy

On 12/17/2018 at 9:31 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

in theory the tightness of the nut should not affect the pinion preload as that is sorted by the spacer tube and shims - but I would suggest that life is not that simple.

on the earlier cars the Torque is lower at 80 to 100 lbs,ft.  

It needs some torque  so why not go in in steps and see what it does to the preload.  40lbs,ft give the flange a turn, 60 etc etc 

if it was me I would stop at less than 80.   See where the split pin hole aligns and stop there.

Roger

Thought I'd update you Roger

I tried as you suggested in increments of twenty and the flange felt tighter by 40-60 and the nut had moved very little so I refitted it to the previously marked position it would seem this is where its happiest. Time will tell!

Andy